GIMP 2.8.2 is still prohibitively slow

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BiscuitMaster

GIMP 2.8.2 is still prohibitively slow

Post by BiscuitMaster »

I'm using MATE on Maya 32-bit, if that makes a difference. Supposedly, the update from 2.8.0 to 2.8.2 fixed a number of things. What I have experienced is that the slow redraw bug is still there. It runs fine until a selection is made on the canvas, then it slows down to an almost unusable level. System monitor shows that CPU usage maxes out when this happens. To remedy this, I've tried disabling color management, enlarging the tile cache size, running GIMP on only one core, switching to single-window mode, using the small theme, and reducing thumbnail size to 4 KB. I'm running on a Pentium 4 (Northwood) 3.0 GHz with 2 GB of RAM, and a 256 MB nVidia FX 5200 with the nouveau driver (or whatever the default is for nVidia cards). I would prefer not to mess with any system files without advice because that's how I screwed up my Ubuntu install. Does anyone have any suggestions? Sincere thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: GIMP 2.8.2 is still prohibitively slow

Post by remoulder »

Not sure why you are asking this here, Mint 13 repos don't provide gimp 2.8 by default and if you install outside the repos you take responsibility for configuration and compatibility on yourself? See http://www.gimp.org/docs/ for help with gimp.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
BiscuitMaster

Post by BiscuitMaster »

That's just it: I've tried looking for an answer to this, but it seems like everyone who updated has reported the bug to be fixed. The developers assumed that the bug was killed in 2.8.2., but here I am still witnessing it. I tried looking for help at the official website, but I came here for help since I seem to be the only one with the issue. Even if my question isn't exactly Mint specific, I thought maybe someone here could help.

I apologize if I did something wrong, but if this section is meant for default Mint software, then perhaps the title should specify that?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

BiscuitMaster wrote:I apologize if I did something wrong
No you haven't done anything wrong, but as I said before, if you install software that is outside the official repos for that OS version there could potentially be all kind of compatibility and dependency issues, and this could be the cause of your problem. I'm sure if anyone knew a solution they would chip in, but as you say this is a known issue then asking the developers of the software for a solution would seem the most sensible route to take.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Agree with remoulder.
OFF Topic:
However, and For What Its Worth here.....
I have recently used GIMP 2.8 in the Peppermint 3 (32bit) distro, on a 2005 Dell Pentium M laptop, and it was fast.
P3 repos do provide for GIMP 2.8.
Hope this helps.

Return to “Software & Applications”