SOLVED (Sort of):Home User Restore won't start

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED (Sort of):Home User Restore won't start

Post by lanrun »

Hi,

I have made a backup of my home with Home User Backup.
Now I need to restore this, but Home User Restore will not start.

I have two different PC I have tried this on, and the problem is there on both of them.

Is there a solution to this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Home User Restore won't start

Post by Husse »

And what is
Home User Backup?
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Husse wrote:And what is
Home User Backup?
Hello Husse!

Home User Backup is the hubackup found in the package manager.:

"Concise and easy to use backup application for the desktop user
HUBackup is short for Home User Backup System. As the
name implies, this is a very simple, concise and easy to use backup
application that uses the renowned and proven dar (Disk ARchive) to do
the actual archiving. Emphasis has been on providing true and reliable progress
indication throughout all operations, as well as the ability to cancel any
operation at any given point. HUBackup mainly concerns with backing up your
home folder data, allowing you to restore it in case of data loss."
Fred

Post by Fred »

lanrun,

I don't know anything about "Home User Backup" but I can give you a command that will work.

This command will make a mirror copy, including maintaining the permissions and ownership of your /home folder. Here is an example. We will change your name to fred. :-)

sudo rsync -avr --delete /home/fred/ /media/sda3/BackUp

This duplicate will be stored in a folder called "BackUp" on sda3. You can update your backup at anytime by running this same command again.

This only works if both the source and destination folders are mounted. To restore the information to your /home you would reverse the source and destination folders and not use the delete. Like this.

sudo rsync -avr /media/sda3/BackUp/ /home/fred

Or, if you want to remove any corrupted stuff you might have in your home and put it back just as it was before, when you made the backup, you would use the "delete" command. This will give you an exact image of your backup in /home.

sudo rsync -avr --delete /media/sda3/BackUp/ /home/fred

If you don't want to see all the activity taking place, remove the "v" in all the examples above.

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Fred wrote:lanrun,

I don't know anything about "Home User Backup" but I can give you a command that will work.

This command will make a mirror copy, including maintaining the permissions and ownership of your /home folder. Here is an example. We will change your name to fred. :-)

sudo rsync -avr --delete /home/fred /media/sda3/BackUp

This duplicate will be stored in a folder called "BackUp" on sda3. You can update your backup at anytime by running this same command again.

This only works if both the source and destination folders are mounted. To restore the information to your /home you would reverse the source and destination folders and not use the delete. Like this.

sudo rsync -avr /media/sda3/BackUp /home/fred

Or, if you want to remove any corrupted stuff you might have in your home and put it back just as it was before, when you made the backup, you would use the "delete" command. This will give you an exact image of your backup in /home.

sudo rsync -avr --delete /media/sda3/BackUp /home/fred

If you don't want to see all the activity taking place, remove the "v" in all the examples above.

Fred
So the delete option deletes the old backup before the command makes a new?
Fred

Post by Fred »

lanrun,

No, that's what is nice about the rsync command. It only transfers the changes that have taken place since the last time you ran it, not the whole thing again. The delete command removes anything that is in the destination folder that you have deleted from the source since you last ran the command.

Bye the way, look at my post again. I edited it to put a / after the source. This keeps it from making another folder that your backup is in. Works fine without it, just makes it cleaner.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

For those of you that may be using data partitions mounted in your home directory, let me add this word of caution.

If you wind up copying your /home folder into a folder that is mounted in /home you will put yourself in a loop. This is not good because it will essentially recopy itself until it fills the partition and crashes.

If you want to copy only your hidden config files to a backup folder that is on a different partition but mounted in /home, or anywhere else for that matter, use the command below:

sudo rsync -avr --delete --include ".*/" --include ".*/**" --exclude "*" /home/fred/ /home/fred/My_Data/BakConfig

To restore, just reverse the source and destination. You may or may not wish to use the --delete command on restore. See the earlier post. Just remember, if you use the --delete command you will have nothing in your /home except the config files when it is restored. Be very careful how you use the --delete command. Think about what it is going to do to the destination folder.

Fred
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Re: SOLVED (Sort of):Home User Restore won't start

Post by lanrun »

Fred:
This was great help! Thank you.

lanrun
Husse

Re: SOLVED (Sort of):Home User Restore won't start

Post by Husse »

You can learn more from this post
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =42&t=3969
scorp123 knows what he's talking about - sad that he sometimes talks about it in an abusive manner (that's why he's not round any more)

Return to “Software & Applications”