Unreadable tooltips in Digikam

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Unreadable tooltips in Digikam

Post by Nick Payne »

I've installed Digikam on Mint14 Cinnamon amd64. Works fine except for the text/background color on the File/Image tooltip window that appears when you hover the mouse over a thumbnail. It uses white text on a pale yellow background, which is essentially unreadable. If was actually using Digikam on KDE I could change the colors in KDE control center to fix this. Any way I can fix it on Mint14 Cinnamon?
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Unreadable tooltips in Digikam

Post by 67GTA »

You can install the KDE system settings tool and configure KDE to use the gtk theme/fonts/icons for better theme compatability.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install systemsettings
My Cinnamon 14 digikam tooltips are black with white fonts. I didn't check them before doing the steps above.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
janise
Level 2
Level 2

Post by janise »

Thank you! I have the same problem with Mint 15 Cinnamon: I installed systemsettings and I changed the Application Appearance -> Colors -> Colors -> Tooltip Text to grey. The background was supposedly black, but apparently digiKam adds some yellow image over it. Probably cannot set the tooltip text too dark either, as that would probably break readability in other programs.
Talegolas

Post by Talegolas »

You could also just go to the menu Settings -- > Configure DigiKam -- > Miscellaneous and change the "Widget Style" to clean looks, and it will have a black bkgrd and white fonts.
ssreddy555

Post by ssreddy555 »

Thank u Talegolas.

Your tip solved my tooltip readability problem.
Talegolas

Post by Talegolas »

ssreddy555 wrote:Thank u Talegolas.

Your tip solved my tooltip readability problem.
:D Awesome. .i finally helped someone!
KennethBBatchelor

Post by KennethBBatchelor »

Yes thank Talegolas, your widget style change advice fixed my issue on Ubuntu as well.
foobaron

Post by foobaron »

Thanks guys for the solutions to this problem! In case others hit the problems I had when installing digikam on mint 17.1 (MATE in my case, but I gather the problems are not specific to running it on MATE), here's what I had to do:

* after install, it would just crash whenever I click a file browser button. So I followed advice on the Software Manager reviews for digikam:

sudo apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
, which fixed that.

* I still had many problems with unreadable tooltips, mysterious buttons with no icons, and when I attempted to choose Settings -> Themes -> Configure, I got an error message: "digikam cannot start Colors Settings panel from kde control center. please check your system". The following fixed access to kde control center, and brought in the oxygen icons as well:

* talegolas' advice here on how to fix the tooltips worked great for me.

So now the question is, WHY aren't these dependencies in the apt package manager's database of dependencies for digikam? The app is unusable (crashes) without them. And WHO do we tell, to get these dependencies added to apt? I am pretty new to the Mint community...

I shudder to think what a Linux-newbie (or for that matter a "linux UI is crap" hater) would think about this. It's kind of pathetic that the app ships by default with settings that render it unusable. I mean, Mint is one of the top Linux distros, and digikam is one of the top photo apps on Linux, and this makes it look like crap.
ellipse55

Post by ellipse55 »

The advice to install the systemsettings package has solved my own problem with Digikam and Tellico. I was getting the following message "The name org.kde.klaucher was not provided by any .services files." This is in Mint 17 (Mate) 64 bits.

Thanks!
jelinekkamil

Post by jelinekkamil »

foobaron wrote:

Thank you very much man. These commands solved my issues with no photos in albums and missing icons and texts in digikam on Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon x64.
Champollion

Post by Champollion »

jelinekkamil wrote:
foobaron wrote:

Thank you very much man. These commands solved my issues with no photos in albums and missing icons and texts in digikam on Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon x64.
Ah, thanks a lot, that worked for me too! I'd found the first command, but not the second one and I was stuck with these invisible buttons. I can only agree with foobaron above: why is all this not included by default?
Champollion

Post by Champollion »

Ooops, spoke too fast: the icons appeared, but not the tooltips. Nice yellow empty rectangles... Well, I guess I can do without them...
zenephi

Re: [SOLVED] Unreadable tooltips in Digikam [SOLVED]

Post by zenephi »

MANY Thanks for posting this "tip" - the unreadable pop up info was driving me mad!! Using your tip means I now have a very readable white text on black background thanks again - John
Talegolas wrote:You could also just go to the menu Settings -- > Configure DigiKam -- > Miscellaneous and change the "Widget Style" to clean looks, and it will have a black bkgrd and white fonts.
zenephi

Post by zenephi »

DigiKam Tooltip problem returns with Mint18 - Sarah - Cinnamon .... in DigiKam 4.12 installed via Mint Software Manager - going to .... Settings - Themes - Default/Configuration .... I find the options go nowhere so unable to change the unreadable yellow tooltip box. Subsequently used the suggestions above - no change. I hunted for the config .xml file no joy (it's either not there OR I did not recognise it - checked in Digikam areas and kde ones).

Help / suggestions appreciated. - John
zenephi

Re:[SOLVED AGAIN] Unreadable tooltips in Digikam

Post by zenephi »

Hi ... Mint 18 Sarah + Cinnamon + Digikam standard D/L from Administration/Software Manager etc.
SOLUTION for Mint 18 and Windows 10 installations
In digiKam GO TO TOP MENU BAR: Configure: scroll down to Miscellaneous (right at bottom) and click on it: find link for Widget Style and select your choice ... I found Clean Looks to be great - white text on black background.

PS I worked out the colour that was causing the BIG readability problem ffffdc ... spent hours trying to find a "Theme" file without any luck ... though I did find a file called Trolltech.conf that did look like one & referenced digikam ... it even had a colour setting ffffdc which I changed to 363636 ... but I had no way to link it to Digikam .... so a moments elation and then depression :-))
rolandsabang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rolandsabang »

This saved my day and a lot of hair on my skull :lol: and it works perfectly in both Cinnamon 18 and Mate 18, I am testing them in VirtualBox 5.0.26 under 17.3 Rosa KDE 64-bit.

Return to “Software & Applications”