Wine idles when opening .exe

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aki90

Wine idles when opening .exe

Post by aki90 »

Hey guys... I've installed this OS a few days ago and it's already the 3rd time that i'm writing here XD
This time I have a question about Wine. I've installed it and had no problems with that, but it doesn't work... or maybe I'm still missing something. The fact is that if I try to open an .exe file with this app (or as i've read- compatibily layer), I have no concrete results. On the bottom panel I have for some seconds the icon "opening nameofthefile.exe", but then it disappears without giving me even a warning window or something.

I've checked through the internet for possible solutions, but didn't find anything useful for me- or at least nothing understandable, since my linux-level, as you've probably understood already, is really basic.

So... maybe someone can help me with that :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Wine idles when opening .exe

Post by karlchen »

Hello, aki90.

A good starting point for beginners are the psychocat's webpages. Psychocat has got a page on Wine as well, Using Wine on Ubuntu. As Ubuntu and Linux Mint are twins, what is true for Wine on Ubuntu is true for Wine on Linux Mint as well.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Wine idles when opening .exe

Post by Flemur »

What win-app are you trying to run? Some of them are easy and work with default wine install, others take some mucking around, and some don't work at all. See http://www.winehq.org/ for info on your app.

In a terminal:

$ wine yourappname.exe

and see what it says.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”