Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Thunderbird difficulty with sending photos

Post by EdQld » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:07 am

I have spent many hours searching the Wed and the settings in Thunderbird 17.0 running on Mint14 Mate, trying to get my emails to send as HTML and include Photos :roll:
OK, finally I have found a way to get my emails to send in HTML and include photos by:

> Write > Options > Format > select "Rich Text (HTML) Only"

But this setting is not saved and I have to go through this process each time I write and send an email :(

In the Preferences section it is marked to send as HTML, but this just does not happen and I have to manually change the setting with each email,
which by manually making the above change I can include photos using "insert" or drag & drop, but not Cut & Paste

Anyone have a suggestion how this can be changed permanently in Thunderbird 17.0 running on Mint 14 (Mate) so I can send all my emails in
HTML Format and include Photos, without having to manually change the setting each time?

laidback
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Thunderbird difficulty with sending photos

Post by laidback » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm

I have this problem, did it ever get sorted?
Fairly quick way of setting the required option as described by EdQld is write>Alt p>Alt f>Alt r, (press and hold Alt once Write is selected, so it becomes Write>Alt p>f>r) but as he says you have to do it everytime.

EdQld
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EdQld » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:41 am

Hi laidback, unfortunately even after lots of searching using Google and different Forums, I have not come up with a solution :(

I'm happy at least that I'm Not the only one experiencing this because if lots of other people also have this problem the Developers
will hopefully come up with a fix :wink:

I don't know if it is a Mint 14 issue or Thunderbirds :!:

Let me know if you stumble on a solution, sometimes forget to make the change and the email doesn't send in HTML - Frustrating :?

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:55 am

Hi Guys just saw this post I believe if you go to edit>preferences> then under HTML click send options> in the drop down box select send message as HTML anyway that will become your default and should be permanent. good luck :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

laidback
Level 1
Level 1

Post by laidback » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks for that but this option doesn't appear to do what is wanted, that is to send embedded photos that are visible at the other end. Only solution so far is to type Alt>p>f>r everytime. We're looking for a setting that leaves formatting defaulting to Rich text (HTML) only.

I find it hard to believe that we're the only ones that find this a problem.

Kindest Regards
Laidback

Detonate
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Detonate » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:52 am

laidback wrote: I find it hard to believe that we're the only ones that find this a problem.

Kindest Regards
Laidback
I don't find it to be a problem because I never send emails with photos embedded. I always upload the photos to one of the free image hosting sites and put a link to the photo in the email.

I don't like receiving emails with embedded photos because it slows down my email so much. I have my settings to truncate all messages more than 1000kb. Then I can decide if I want to download the rest of the message or not.

laidback
Level 1
Level 1

Post by laidback » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Many thanks for your comments. That's not a way of working that I'd ever considered, food for thought.

Kindest Regards

Return to “Software & Applications”