Mintupdate 4.4.4 to 4.4.7 left me unprotected

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fpa
Level 1
Level 1

Mintupdate 4.4.4 to 4.4.7 left me unprotected

Post by fpa »

Would like to alert folk out there that if you're still running mintupdate 4.4.4 you shouldn't trust the grren tick mark of the Update Shield. It said my system was up to date, but I thought it was strange that for so many days there was no update. When I forced it to run there was only an update from mintupdate 4.4.4 to 4.4.7 listed. Seemed pretty inofensive.

Well, it turns out that after updating from mintupdate 4.4.4 to 4.4.7 it ran again and found A LOT of stuff to update. That seems like a potential security hole that should be advised to people on the blog or other form. Who knows how many people out there are still on 4.4.4 trusting the green tick mark.

Happened to me on a Maya 64 bit and also on a Maya XFCE edition. Exactly the same problem.

Cheers,

Fabio
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mintupdate 4.4.4 to 4.4.7 left me unprotected

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

mintupdate will always update itself before upgrading other package, so its normal. After mintupdate upgraded, then it will upgrade the other packages.

If you want to upgrade some packages w/o upgrading mintupdate, go to synaptic, click on status, and look on upgradable section. If you prefer CLI, open terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
fpa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Re: Mintupdate 4.4.4 to 4.4.7 left me unprotected

Post by fpa »

lahirdenganselamat wrote:mintupdate will always update itself before upgrading other package, so its normal. After mintupdate upgraded, then it will upgrade the other packages.

If you want to upgrade some packages w/o upgrading mintupdate, go to synaptic, click on status, and look on upgradable section. If you prefer CLI, open terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Well, then a mintupdate needing update should be considered something that makes the update shield indicate system not up to date, vulnerable, don't you agree?

The way it is now a person can't trust the shield icon.
bimsebasse

Re: Mintupdate 4.4.4 to 4.4.7 left me unprotected

Post by bimsebasse »

Unprotected? Security hole? The shield icon is a somewhat misleading metaphor for software updates - updates occasionally introducing "security" issues not found in earlier versions. If you don't update your software for a month it only very, very rarely means you're "unprotected", it just means not all your software is the newest version, security rarely enters into it.

In short: mintupdate is not an antivirus program, it's an updater for an app center. That's the reason Ubuntu, Elementary and fedora use arrow+package icons for their Update Managers, it makes more sense, it's about updating packages, it's not, as such, about security.

Return to “Software & Applications”