Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Colin
Level 1
Level 1

Internet Explorer for Linux?

Post by Colin »

I am sure someone told me that i would be able to download, install and run Internet Explorer whilst using a Linux "Mint" operating system? If so could someone point me to a tutorial please! Thanks in advance

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Internet Explorer for Linux?

Post by Zwopper »

My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ed@Mint »

Heresy ! :twisted: :shock: :lol:
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Colin wrote:I am sure someone told me that i would be able to download, install and run Internet Explorer whilst using a Linux "Mint" operating system? If so could someone point me to a tutorial please! Thanks in advance
Well, not trying to flame, but I was going to ask "Why?" But at the page Zwopper linked to, under "Who is the target public?" I see a couple of reasons. Interesting, it says, "Please, don’t use any of these IEs to navigate!! Get Firefox."

Colin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colin »

Thanks for the link Zwopper but could i follow the install method mentioned for Ubuntu?

Have to agree with you on the heresy charge ed but whether i like it or not i just have to have it lol

Thanks for the replies

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ed@Mint »

Colin,

Do you know there exists an extension to Firefox to make it behave like IE in case some sites refuse to work with ff ?
https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/1419
In libro veritas

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org

Colin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colin »

Hey, thanks for that link ed but it does not let me hear an audio file that has a Microsoft <bgsound> file tag

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I do some web developing, and that's certainly one reason for using it, since IE has a major share of the user base - like it or not - I DON'T! :twisted:
CREA DIEM!

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Zwopper wrote:I do some web developing, and that's certainly one reason for using it, since IE has a major share of the user base - like it or not - I DON'T! :twisted:
There are several online tools that allow you to test your web code with an emulated version of IE.

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

belovedmonster wrote:
Zwopper wrote:I do some web developing, and that's certainly one reason for using it, since IE has a major share of the user base - like it or not - I DON'T! :twisted:
There are several online tools that allow you to test your web code with an emulated version of IE.
Yes I know, but it's not quite the same as to "open a file and see for yourself"...
CREA DIEM!

Colin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colin »

Well, whether i like it or not i shall have to consider re-installing Windows XP and making a dual-boot system to share the hard drive with Linux Mint. Trouble is i don't have a clue how to go about achieving this, so i am once again asking for help only this time i am looking for a really easy tutorial which would let me install Windows XP alongside Linux Mint. Thanks all

lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Well, that's simple enough. During Windows XP install follow the instructions to partition the hard disk. Install to one of the partitions, then run Mint live CD or whatever and manually create the swap partition and filesystem partitions with the chunk leftover from the Windows install. Just PM me if you need help and I can give you my IM.

Oh and in regards to IE, you really should ween yourself off of it. I know people have mentioned Firefox, which is exceptional. There are many others that are good as well. Why do you have to listen to windows audio via the internet? Some particular radio station or something?

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

My tip is to run XP in virtualbox.
CREA DIEM!

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ed@Mint »

Colin,

I told you in your other post about a bgsound extension for firefox.
However, if you really want to get XP back, i think a virtualbox solution should really do the trick...
So that you don't have to mess again with backups, partitions, etc...

Install virtualbox and install XP inside of it.
If you don't know what i'm talkin about, say it and we'll help further. There are also many posts talking about that on these forums.

Cheers
ed

edit: @Zwopper : once again, there seem to be a mental connection between Belgium and Sweden :wink: :lol:
In libro veritas

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

ed@Mint wrote: edit: @Zwopper : once again, there seem to be a mental connection between Belgium and Sweden :wink: :lol:
Well you know what they say: "Great minds think alike!" :mrgreen:
CREA DIEM!

antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

ed@Mint wrote: ...if you really want to get XP back, i think a virtualbox solution should really do the trick...
I agree with the VirtualBox route, that's what I did and it works great with one exception. I'm having trouble with it recognizing my USB ports. I've tried some different things found in the forums and on the VirtualBox website, but no luck. It's frustrating because it sees the USB plug in for my wireless mouse, but not my flash drives. If anyone else has an idea left me know.

Colin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colin »

I definately don't want to use a Windows OS again. I have been looking into virtualbox and noticed that it is also in Synaptic. Perhaps this is just as good as creating a dual-boot system?

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Better imo.
CREA DIEM!

xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xvedejas »

I think that if you install wine-doors (it's in the software portal) it will install IE without any hassle for you...

lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Just realize that running XP in virtual box will be a tad bit different in regards to performance normally achieved while running it stand-alone. Why not just run it under wine?

Return to “Software & Applications”