Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Transmission: where and what

Post by Ebere » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:54 am

If I use transmission to download a torrent.... It looks like others can come onto my computer and download stuff from me.

Just exactly what can they download, and from where?

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Transmission: where and what

Post by Orbmiser » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:32 am

It is sharing parts of the file. And they aren't coming into your computer.
Their computer is requesting a chunk of the file you already have of the file on your computer.
And your computer is sending them that particular parts of the file that you already have.

Nobody is in your system. Might want to read up on the programs you use and how they operate.

Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:42 am

Orbmiser wrote:It is sharing parts of the file. And they aren't coming into your computer.
Their computer is requesting a chunk of the file you already have of the file on your computer.
And your computer is sending them that particular parts of the file that you already have.

Nobody is in your system. Might want to read up on the programs you use and how they operate.
Pretty much what I am trying to do, right here. :D

Thank you.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

rsxhawk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rsxhawk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:24 pm

The short of it is this:

The way torrents work is once you're done downloading a file, you then become a seeder of that same file, meaning that your machine becomes another source that new downloaders can use to download the file faster. With torrents, the more people there are seeding, the faster your download will go. No one is getting into your computer maliciously, its just how torrents work. If you want, you can always remove the file from the torrent application to make it stop seeding, but nothing bad is happening.
Linux Mint 14 Nadia w/Cinnamon - BitFenix Prodigy (White) - ASUS P8H77-I Motherboard - Intel Core i5 3570K - 8GB GSkill Ares Memory - Kingston 90 GB SSD - Seagate 1 TB HD - ZALMAN CNPS8000B 92mm - LG Blu Ray Burner

Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:28 pm

rsxhawk wrote:The short of it is this:

The way torrents work is once you're done downloading a file, you then become a seeder of that same file, meaning that your machine becomes another source that new downloaders can use to download the file faster. With torrents, the more people there are seeding, the faster your download will go. No one is getting into your computer maliciously, its just how torrents work. If you want, you can always remove the file from the torrent application to make it stop seeding, but nothing bad is happening.
Ah.

Thank you.

So, no one can get to any part of my machine, except what is in the torrent app?

Except... What is "in the torrent app"?? What does "in the torrent app" mean, anyway?

I downloaded the mint iso to my downloads directory. Is everyone somehow mysteriously restricted to the one file, in particular, or can they access anything that is in that directory? Or even someplace like my desktop, or any other non-restricted part of the computer?

I looked everywhere I could think of, and I didn't find anything definitive about exactly what transmission does. Not even on their own website. Beyond the simplistic, you use it to download stuff, and to seed/share stuff.

I want to know exactly what it is capable of. Not when used by your super-ethical best friends. Not when used by the morally incorruptible. Not in some non-existant friendly, joyful, peace love and happiness, coexistant kind of world.

I want to know what the 14 year old "uber-haxor" down the street can do, 'just for fun', or 'just because he can', or for 'malicious reasons', on my machine if I open and run transmission.

rsxhawk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rsxhawk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:08 pm

The files you download go to a default directory, usually its the "downloads" folder. But you can change that so its some random folder away from your other regular downloads. And no, just because you have your other stuff in that downloads folder, no one can see or take the contents of that folder from you. Torrents work off of tracker files, the only way to even download a file via torrent is if that torrent file is linked to a tracker. None of your other files are linked to trackers obviously, hence you wouldn't be seeding them.

And lets get some basic networking out of the way, unless you have some sort of massive security hole in your router that's hooked up to your ISP's modem, the kid down the street will not be hacking into your network. That would require knowledge of your public IP and what tcp ports you are using for torrenting, of which I'm sure he has neither. Your connections that initiate from the inside are allowed out to the internet because they came from a secure network. Connections that are initiated from the outside are denied by default unless you have tcp ports open and the correct forwarding rules setup on your router to tell those connections where to go. Just look up port forwarding on wikipedia or something. Its networking 101.

I would hope that if you have wireless at your home that you at least have WPA2 security encryption on it like most folks do.

The way I use torrents is that when I'm done downloading, I remove the file from the downloads directory and place it where I actually want it, and I simply close down the torrent client I'm using. There's really nothing to be paranoid about.
Linux Mint 14 Nadia w/Cinnamon - BitFenix Prodigy (White) - ASUS P8H77-I Motherboard - Intel Core i5 3570K - 8GB GSkill Ares Memory - Kingston 90 GB SSD - Seagate 1 TB HD - ZALMAN CNPS8000B 92mm - LG Blu Ray Burner

Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Thank you.

That was helpful.

I apologize if I seemed short. Sometimes it just seems like if you ask a question, all you ever get for answers are sound bites and selling points.

rsxhawk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rsxhawk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 pm

No worries, glad to help!

Return to “Software & Applications”