Pantheon greeter

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hiero2

Pantheon greeter

Post by Hiero2 »

from this post, in a solved thread, I saw this COOL pantheon greeter:
pfjap.paco wrote:Have any of you tried out eOS's Pantheon Greeter yet?

^this^ is why I love LightDM
I responded in that thread, but technically I am responding to both a necro-thread, and a solved thread, which is bad mojo manners on my part. So, here is a new topic - how do I get a cool greeter like this guy has!?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: [Solved] Enable Lightdm in LM 13 Maya

Post by cwwgateway »

Hiero2 wrote:Necrothread wakeup call, sorry. What I want to know is how you got the pantheon greeter, and how you configured it to look like that. That is REALLY sharp!
I'd start a new thread about that. On the subject, however, I believe you have to install pantheon with the pantheon greeter as detailed in this article: http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-install-e ... untu-12-04. Then I believe you have to change the default lightdm greeter in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Pantheon greeter

Post by xenopeek »

Edit: I deleted your necrobump, and moved the reply you received there here. I see you have switched to LightDM, so disregard below that is for those using the default MDM.

Please specify what you mean by "COOL" (e.g., is it just the wallpaper, the fact that there is a clock, or what?). And what is your Linux Mint version?

On Linux Mint 14 (or Linux Mint 13 with backports repository enabled) there are plenty of "COOL" login windows. Go to the Login Window application, Local tab, and pick one of the beautiful themes.
Hiero2

Post by Hiero2 »

Cool: in this case, yes the backdrop - full screen - very nice. The actual greeter/login box - has a user drop-down or pick list, not an entry box. The clock is icing on the cake - but definitely part of what I was looking at, and part of what made it worthy of "cool"!

Thanks for doing the cleanup in the old thread!

The background picture reminds me of some backdrop artwork for Enlightenment in an old version of SOAD. I have some similar desktop background pics, but that is a good one.

Oh - and thanks for the tips - I'll check that out. I'll have to use the backports, which means I'll have to figure out how to do that, but duckduck is my friend. I stick with the LTS releases - since I'm not keen on mucking about with my systems. I'm always proud when I can and do make stuff work, and I'm geeky enough to do it, but it ain't something I do of an evening for fun. No point to me in fixing something that isn't broke.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Open Software Sources from the menu, then tick the checkbox on "Backported packages (backports)". After closing it, open Update Manager and click Refresh button. If you still have MDM installed, you should see upgrades available for packages "mdm" and possibly also "mint-mdm-themes". If you want, you can select to only upgrade these two and then go back to Software Sources and disable the backports. Or you can apply all upgrades from backports and get a newer version of Cinnamon (if you are using that), MATE (if you are using that), and the Software Manager.

If you had removed MDM, then install those two packages. Then again you can choose to either disable the backports, or keep it active and install other available upgrades.

More detail about the backports for Linux Mint 13 in the blog: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225
Hiero2

Post by Hiero2 »

Thank you for that helpful bit. I am super glad MATE exists and is improving, but I don't think I have a need to update it, just because. On the other hand, I am a superfan of Nautilus, and I am more than extremely glad Mint is keeping the good Nautilus alive with caja. Back in Windows, I used X2 as my preferred file manager, after years of trying whatever offerings came available. Ye Olde Norton Commander and Wordperfect file management had spoiled me for any lesser offerings. And, over the years, "lesser" became "more", iykwim.

On switching my primary desktops to linux, I looked at every file manager I could find, and NONE did the job as well as x2. Xfe came the closest. KDE's Konqueror was too heavy and lacked features, and Dolphin was too light. There are many NC copycats, but that mode is so old and dated now, that new functionality was important. I don't know where or when Nautilus gained a second pane (to my knowledge, it did NOT have a 2nd pane when I first used it), but at some point I discovered it was there. And then I was happy. It does almost everything that x2 does, and what it doesn't, I haven't particularly needed.

I MIGHT use the backports to get the latest Caja! Pass the word to the guys on that team - and the MATE team - that I will buy them a beer any time they want it. Good work!

Thanks, man!

Return to “Software & Applications”