Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
coolmint45
Level 1
Level 1

mint, firefox or virus

Post by coolmint45 »

I am not sure if this is in right place to put this. Also not sure if this a firefox issue, linux mint issue or a virus/trojan?

Ok here is the problem.
First I was look up how to - add css text color rgba

When I click on the link the screen flashed for less than a second and then went striaght to the login screen. When I login back in it was like I had reboot the system.

Now the website I went to was. www[dot]24ways[dot]org/2009/working-with-rgba-colour/ Word of caution.

Would this be a virus/trojan or something? And would I have to reinstall mint because of that issue? How do you tell if your files and or config files have a virus/trojan or something? I mean replaced config files, data files or something ?

This is the first time I have ever seen this.

Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Re: mint, firefox or virus

Post by Matt267 »

I think it's a firefox issue. I come across links from time to time that will do that to me. But, if I open the same link using Chromium, it opens fine. I don't know why it does it or how to fix it.

Matt

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

I went to http://24ways.org/2009/working-with-rgba-colour/ using Firefox without any problem - where is the link you used? Maybe there is something embedded there.

Pat

coolmint45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolmint45 »

palo wrote:I went to http://24ways.org/2009/working-with-rgba-colour/ using Firefox without any problem - where is the link you used? Maybe there is something embedded there.

Pat
I used startpage search engine and type in css add text color rgba and then click on the fist link not the first ad. And still have it acted like a system crash. Still goes to black screen and then the login screen. Works in google now.

telcnas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by telcnas »

@coolmint45 : I just did what you said, I went to that website via google (using the search query mentioned by you) but nothing happened.......may be some sort of firefox issue on your system......
अभयंसत्वसंशुद्धि........१६/१

telcnas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by telcnas »

is it happening through other browsers as well????????????? & try to reinstall firefox and find out whether the issue persists or not...........
अभयंसत्वसंशुद्धि........१६/१

coolmint45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolmint45 »

telcnas wrote:@coolmint45 : I just did what you said, I went to that website via google (using the search query mentioned by you) but nothing happened.......may be some sort of firefox issue on your system......

Try it via startpage[dot]com. Maybe it's the search engine.

TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

coolmint45 wrote:
telcnas wrote:@coolmint45 : I just did what you said, I went to that website via google (using the search query mentioned by you) but nothing happened.......may be some sort of firefox issue on your system......

I use startpage all the time that never happened to me. I just tried using startpage....no problems. It may be something wrong with your firefox install.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

coolmint45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolmint45 »

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:
coolmint45 wrote:

I use startpage all the time that never happened to me. I just tried using startpage....no problems. It may be something wrong with your firefox install.

So how would you reinstall firefox. It is 17.0.1 now their is 18.0 out. sudo apt-get purge firefox and sudo apt-get install firefox or update to 18?

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

coolmint45> Are you using any addons or extensions in FF? If so you may want to disable them and restart - see if the problem persists.

Pat

coolmint45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolmint45 »

palo wrote:coolmint45> Are you using any addons or extensions in FF? If so you may want to disable them and restart - see if the problem persists.

Pat

Looks like it will be one of the addons. I was able to go to it from startpage without any problems when I disabled the addons. Turn back on the addons went to startpage again and then black screen then to login screen.

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

coolmint45 wrote:
palo wrote:coolmint45> Are you using any addons or extensions in FF? If so you may want to disable them and restart - see if the problem persists.

Pat

Looks like it will be one of the addons. I was able to go to it from startpage without any problems when I disabled the addons. Turn back on the addons went to startpage again and then black screen then to login screen.
Can you do it again and then enable only one addon at a time to find the offender. It may be good information for the community :)

Pat

coolmint45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolmint45 »

palo wrote:
coolmint45 wrote:

Pat

Can you do it again and then enable only one addon at a time to find the offender. It may be good information for the community :)

Pat
Sure no problem.

So it looks like the colprit is the mint search enhancer 1.0

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

coolmint45 wrote:So it looks like the colprit is the mint search enhancer 1.0
Mmmm...was that the only addon in use to make it fail or was it in combination with other addon(s). Glad you figured it out btw.

Pat

coolmint45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolmint45 »

palo wrote:
coolmint45 wrote:So it looks like the colprit is the mint search enhancer 1.0
Mmmm...was that the only addon in use to make it fail or was it in combination with other addon(s). Glad you figured it out btw.

Pat
Yes it was the only addon that I had enable. Tried the rest of the addons one by one and that is the only one that fails.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Software & Applications”