Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fobits
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox bookmarks bar disappeared

Post by fobits » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm using Mint 14 with the Mate desktop.

Everything was fine until I opened Firefox today and found that it has changed considerably, and not for the better.

The heading and toolbars at the top scroll off the top of the screen. When I put the mouse pointer at the top, they
reappear - but only the bar with the close button and the one with the url.

The whole bar with the bookmarks menu has vanished. No more bookmarks.

At the bottom it also overwrites the bottom frame of the desktop, where the menu icon is located. The page that
I'm looking at covers the entire screen.

Does anybody know what could have caused this and how to fix it? I need my bookmarks!

I don't know what version of Firefox it is. The Help and About items have also disappeared.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Firefox bookmarks bar disappeared

Post by xenopeek » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 am

Check your Firefox version from the terminal, with:

Code: Select all

firefox -version
I suspect that you haver Firefox 18.0? That was available as an update since a few hours. It's working fine here, so I suspect there is something in your preferences or extensions that is causing problems. I suggest you reset Firefox to its default preferences and extensions, and see if that solves the issue.

To do so, first close all Firefox windows. Then run the following command from the terminal:

Code: Select all

mv ~/.mozilla ~/firefox-old
This will rename the hidden .mozilla folder, which has your Firefox preferences and extensions, to firefox-old. As this folder also has your bookmarks, we're not deleting it just yet. Now, with this folder renamed, start Firefox again and see if it behaves normal. If so, you can import your bookmarks from the firefox-old folder in your home folder.

To import your bookmarks, from the bookmarks menu select show all bookmarks. From the import and backup menu, select restore > choose file. Then browse to your home folder > firefox-old > firefox > some folder ending in .default > bookmarkbackups. Pick the most recent bookmarks file and you should be set again.

fobits
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fobits » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Thank you, xenopeek.

I followed your detailed instructions and it worked perfectly.

Now I'm nervous about updating, but if it's messed up again at least I know how to get it back.

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:00 pm

fobits wrote:The heading and toolbars at the top scroll off the top of the screen. When I put the mouse pointer at the top, they
reappear - but only the bar with the close button and the one with the url.

The whole bar with the bookmarks menu has vanished. No more bookmarks.

At the bottom it also overwrites the bottom frame of the desktop, where the menu icon is located. The page that
I'm looking at covers the entire screen.
Sounds exactly like Fullscreen mode (F11 keypress).

Pat

jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jaderiver » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Recently backported Nadia to Maya and although Chrome seems okay, Firefox stopped loading any visual information for bookmarks of any kind. Attempting to import html bookmarks from anywhere else resulted in a low level clunking sound in my computer and the message "Unable to process the backup file" popped up. History list seemed to disappear, too. (All these operations work well with live Mint 13 CD.)

Read and applied xenopeek's terminal command: mv ~/.mozilla ~/firefox-old us

and now bookmarks are working again.

Thank you, xenopeek.

The bookmarks/history bug could've resulted from updates other than backports. Not sure. Although the problem is fixed, Firefox no longer has the "newer" look w/the Firefox tab upper left. My version is still given as 18.0.02
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 18.2 MATE Sonya dualboot WIN 7
Zoom #3095 dialup USB modem
; WiFi/Tether to Android Lollypop hotspot

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:21 pm

jaderiver wrote:Firefox no longer has the "newer" look w/the Firefox tab upper left.
From the View > Toolbars menu, disable the "Menu Bar" and you get that tab back :wink:

jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jaderiver » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Yes, great... Firefox fine now... thank you again.

jaderiver
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 18.2 MATE Sonya dualboot WIN 7
Zoom #3095 dialup USB modem
; WiFi/Tether to Android Lollypop hotspot

Return to “Software & Applications”