Compiz Messed Up Open Office...What Now?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Suu999
Level 1
Level 1

Compiz Messed Up Open Office...What Now?

Postby Suu999 » Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 pm

First off and foremost, my specs: I own a Gateway MT3422. An MT model that has an AMD64X, is Vista-capable, has an NVidia card, and Linux Mint 4.0 using GNOME.

So...I was just messing around with Compiz today and finally got it to working. Now I have a pretty desktop! But no OpenOffice. When I noticed I was having further problems with Writer, like, the Format option wasn't working, nor was anything else off the menus. I had to do a Force Quit on Writer because selecting those options locked it up. Then I tried to install AbiWord. It installed, its executable file is in BIN, but when I tried to run it, it said something about being unable to find a "child directory" or something, so it couldn't run it from shortcut.

So I have no office suite now. What should I do? Can I reinstall them, or should I get rid of Compiz? I have homework that needs done this week, and normal text editors just don't cut it. I am accepting any help to solve this problem.

Thanks in advace!!
Suu999

Suu999
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Compiz Messed Up Open Office...What Now?

Postby Suu999 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:47 pm

my bad, the link error came because I thought I had installed the AbiWord application when in fact I only installed its Common files. That problem is solved.
But I still need help with OpenOffice. Any tips are welcome!! :D

red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Compiz Messed Up Open Office...What Now?

Postby red-e-made » Tue May 06, 2008 9:22 pm

My default solution to application problems like that is to uninstall in Synaptic, reboot, then re-install it. It's quick and often works, but this thread suggests disabling your Compiz effects before you use OpenOffice. I've not had any problems using both myself.

Return to “Software & Applications”