Firefox Update 18 broken images

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
headachelinux

Firefox Update 18 broken images

Post by headachelinux »

linux update updated me to Firefox 18,so when i try the home page about:home search i click the search button it doesnt go anywhere
and also when i go on twitter avatar images dont show at all is there a way i can downgrade my firefox to version 16
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firefox Update 18 broken images

Post by xenopeek »

I suspect there is something in your preferences or extensions that is causing problems. I suggest you reset Firefox to its default preferences and extensions, and see if that solves the issue. To do so, first close all Firefox windows. Then run the following command from the terminal:

Code: Select all

mv ~/.mozilla ~/firefox-old
This will rename the hidden .mozilla folder, which has your Firefox preferences and extensions, to firefox-old. As this folder also has your bookmarks, we're not deleting it just yet. Now, with this folder renamed, start Firefox again and see if it behaves normal. If so, you can import your bookmarks from the firefox-old folder in your home folder.

To import your bookmarks, from the bookmarks menu select show all bookmarks. From the import and backup menu, select restore > choose file. Then browse to your home folder > firefox-old > firefox > some folder ending in .default > bookmarkbackups. Pick the most recent bookmarks file and you should be set again.
headachelinux

Post by headachelinux »

i did what u suggested and the problem still persists heres a screenshot of how it looks on twitter

http://i.imgur.com/ZRaI4.png
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks for the screenshot. I did the same search here, and it does indeed show with more pictures. Which Linux Mint release are you using?
headachelinux

Post by headachelinux »

Linux Mint
Release 14 (nadia) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.5.0-17-generic
GNOME 3.6.0
AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor × 8
6.00gb of ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I would recommend looking longer into this problem, but if you want you can downgrade to Firefox 16. That is a security risk though, as Firefox 17 and 18 fixed many security issues. Just so long as you are aware of that.

First check which Firefox packages you have installed:

dpkg -l | grep '^ii  firefox'
The output for me is as follows, which means I have the packages firefox, firefox-gnome-support and firefox-locale-en installed (highlighted in red). Your output will be have more whitespace between the parts of the text but notice that only the beginning of the line is relevant for you. You may have another firefox-locale installed, so check that and replace my firefox-locale-en in below examples with your firefox-locale.
ii firefox 18.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.10.3 amd64 Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
ii firefox-gnome-support 18.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.10.3 amd64 Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla - GNOME support
ii firefox-locale-en 18.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.10.3 amd64 English language pack for Firefox
----------------------------------------

Please give reinstalling Firefox 18 a chance. To do that, run these two commands (remember to change the firefox-locale-en if needed). The first removes and purges Firefox, the next installs it anew. Does that solve your problem?

sudo apt-get purge firefox firefox-gnome-support firefox-locale-en
sudo apt-get install firefox firefox-gnome-support firefox-locale-en
----------------------------------------

If that didn't solve your problem, the command to downgrade is as follows (remember to change the firefox-locale-en if needed), which will downgrade to the Firefox 16 version available on Linux Mint 14 (this is one line of text, but may be shown wrapped here):

sudo apt-get install firefox=16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu1 firefox-gnome-support=16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu1 firefox-locale-en=16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu1
Please now take a moment to confirm this has solved your issue, if not just run the Update Manager and it will upgrade you back to Firefox 18. If it did solve your issue, you can prevent the Update Manager from upgrading you back to Firefox 18 with the following three commands (remember to change the firefox-locale-en if needed):

echo firefox hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo firefox-gnome-support hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
echo firefox-locale-en hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections

Return to “Software & Applications”