Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jonass
Level 3
Level 3

hulu desktop crashing when trying to max window

Post by jonass »

Downloaded newest adobe and then hulu desktop and it worked but when I tried to maximize the window it shut down. So I read up that you need to use an older version of flash which I found and downloaded, but now when I max the window it just goes black. Has anyone gotten hulu to work? I'm running mint 13 xfce 64 bit

bu99zy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: hulu desktop crashing when trying to max window

Post by bu99zy »

Latest Chrome browser works fine for me all the rest, Firefox, Opera, Midori, Rekonq and Chromium are having issues.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: hulu desktop crashing when trying to max window

Post by MtnDewManiac »

jonass wrote:Downloaded newest adobe and then hulu desktop and it worked but when I tried to maximize the window it shut down. So I read up that you need to use an older version of flash which I found and downloaded, but now when I max the window it just goes black. Has anyone gotten hulu to work? I'm running mint 13 xfce 64 bit
I found this thread by checking to make sure that a Google site-search (of this website) using the term "hulu desktop" would produce results, lol.

I'm not sure what you mean by needing to use an older version of flash. When using Adobe's "Find Version" webpage, it tells me that I have 11.2.202.273 installed. I got that by installing Mint, running the software manager app, removing Mint Flash (the reviews in the software manager pretty much all have nothing good to say about it) and installing the flash plugin installer app that I used with no problems on my previous OS. (I did just find out through that Adobe page that there is a newer version of Flash, 11.6.602.171, but it is listed as being for "Chrome (Pepper-based Flash Player)" which I have zero use for, so I wouldn't know about that.)

Anyway, assuming your Flash isn't messed up, the fullscreen issue is easily dealt with. Or it is if your issue is like mine (YMMV, of course). Find the .huludesktop file in your /home/username directory and load it into Gedit (or whatever text editor you use). You may have to enable viewing of "hidden" files by pressing CTRL-H in your file manager in order to see it, or that may be the default. Once loaded into your text editor, you will see that the first section is labled [display]. What I did to fix mine was to change "fullscreen = FALSE" to "fullscreen = TRUE" and change the next two lines which I think were "width = 1024" and "height = 768" to reflect my laptop's display ("width = 1280" and "height = 800") and then I saved the file.

Now Hulu Desktop automatically launches in full screen mode, every time. And it works (again, every time).

Hope this helps,
MDM

EDIT: I just realized that you are using Mint 13 64-bit. I am using Mint 14 32-bit, but the same trick also worked for me on older OS (Ultimate Edition 2.7 - 3.0). And when I recently installed Mint 14 on my friend's brand-new 64-bit laptop, I did the same thing and it worked on that one. So I expect it will also work for you.

Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Software & Applications”