Error at Startup

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cookie666

Error at Startup

Post by Cookie666 »

Hello

I'm new in Linux, but i think it's not a "newbie-question".
(Sorry for mistakes in my writing. Usually i use german )

I set the "automatic ""registration"? " at startup, because it is not neccessary to have a password for me at home.
Now, each time, i start my computer, i got the same problem,

Error: Could not update ICEauthority file /home/name/.ICEauthority

Error (translation) : There is a problem with Configuration-server (/usr/lib/mateConf/mateconf-sanity-check-2 stoppd at status 256)

Error: The path for the directory containing caja settings need read and write permisions /home/name.config/caja

Error (translation): Panel got a problem with loading "OAFIID:MATE-mintMENU" Do you want to delete this applet from your configuration?

After clicking "close" at each error, i see my Desktop without any icons and the "start bar / taskbar" (don't know the word, sorry), but on it no button for Menu, or setting, so that it's not possible, to reverse that "bad setting", or even do anything else at the computer.

While starting up, ther is no possibility to enter a username, or password.

I'm using Linux Mint 14 Nadia, 86x
(I tested my hardware and it's working well)

I would be very happy, if someone is able to help me.

Cookie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Error at Startup

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here as you had it posted in the Cinnamon forum, though you are sharing errors from MATE?

Try pressing Alt+F2 to bring up the run dialog, and if that works run the following to open a MATE terminal:

Code: Select all

mate-terminal
Then run the following command to correct ownership and permissions on the .ICEauthority file (replacing username twice in the first command with your username):

sudo chown username:username ~/.ICEauthority
sudo chmod 600 ~/.ICEauthority
Cookie666

Post by Cookie666 »

Thank you for the fast help.

.ICEauthority wasn't found.

Edit: I entered "sudo chown username:username ~/.ICEauthority" on my Notebook and there was the same mistake ( No such file or directory ). On my notebook there isn't any problem, or change in the settings. The OS is exactly the same.
(I entered the right username )
schulmanworks

Post by schulmanworks »

Hey, I am having a very similar problem to this at my post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... id#p694335
I tried xenopeek's advice, but it got the error "sudo: cmod: command not found"
Here's what I'm looking at.

ryan@ryan-desktop ~ $ sudo chown ryan:ryan ~/.ICEauthority
[sudo] password for ryan: 
ryan@ryan-desktop ~ $ sudo cmod 600 ~/.ICEauthority
sudo: cmod: command not found
Please help!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Typo in my original post for the last command (now corrected there). Please do chmod instead of cmod:

sudo cmod 600 ~/.ICEauthority

Return to “Software & Applications”