Unable to install apps with Software Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GameCodingNinja

Unable to install apps with Software Manager

Post by GameCodingNinja »

I'm using 14.1 64-bit Mate on a 16 gig USB flash drive. This is my first time trying to install an app. Tried to install...

NetBeans
Blender

The install starts and the progress bar moves very slowly but at some point the install stops and the install button is available again but now clicking it does nothing. It's like now the process is disabled for those apps that didn't finish the install. Also, nothing is present in the "usr/share/applications" folder.

I also tried "supertuxkart" because it's a highlighted download and that didn't work also.

Also tried "Package Manager" but that just displayed errors of what couldn't be downloaded.

I've installed these apps without any problem with a USB install of Knoppix 7.0.5. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unable to install apps with Software Manager

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

have you try to install from terminal?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install supertuxkart
IF it works on terminal, then there's something wrong on software manager, but if it won't install it will give you the detailed error :D
GameCodingNinja

I installed Linux Mint on a USB with the "USB Image Writer" located under the accessories menu after booting up with a live DVD.

Does this not create a "persistent" live USB flash drive?
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

AFAIK, mintwriter works the same way as dd, so it wont create persistent file, it make your usb to be a cd. If you want to make persistent, use unetbootin instead
GameCodingNinja

I've used Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.2.6 with 14.1 but the end result was very slow, unstable flash drive. Looks like UNetbootin only supports up to version 10 of Linux Mint.

The only persistent USB flash drive I've been successful with was Knoppix. It has a built in utility to make the persistent flash drive. I'll just stick with that.
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

Just yesterday I noticed a software manager update available. I needed to update the software manager first before it would update or install any packages.

Don't know if it will help you, its worth a try if someone can give you the terminal commands to update the software manager, that may solve your problem.

Best of luck

John
patey

Post by patey »

The software manager is in a package called mintinstall. If you try to install it as follows it should offer to upgrade it if an upgrade is available:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install mintinstall
As for live USBs with persistent storage, I have had no problems with the Ubuntu startup disk creator. It is called usb-creator-gtk in the repositories. It works fine on Mint and I have used it to create live USBs from Mint, Ubuntu, Puppy, Clonezilla and GParted live CD images. I have used the persistent storage feature with Ubuntu and Mint and it seems to work fine.

Return to “Software & Applications”