Dolphin file manager > Rating/Tags/Comments are greyed out

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chitownWEB

Dolphin file manager > Rating/Tags/Comments are greyed out

Post by chitownWEB »

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to Linux and I'm trying to wrap my head around it with my "MS Windows biased mind".
Under windows, I'm using the program "XYplorer" (http://www.xyplorer.com) to manage my documents. One of the features I rely on help finding files faster is tags and comments.

After researching "best file manager for linux" I decided to give Dolphin a shot as it comes with these features.
I installed Dolphin via the software manager and I'm now facing the problem that following features are greyed out:
  • Rating
  • Tags
  • Comments

So first thing I do, I look for the help file by going to "Control > Help > Dolphin Handbook (F1)".
However, that results in the following error Message:
Could not launch the KDE Help Center:
Could not find service 'khelpcenter'.

So, I start doing some online search and found some info about going to "System Settings > Desktop Search" then check if Nepomuk or Strigi is enabled.
Problem is: There is NO "Desktop Search" option when I open the "System Settings"

Here's what I got installed:
  • Linux Mint
    Release 14 (nadia) 64-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.5.0-17-generic
    GNOME 3.6.0
  • Dolphin
    Version 2.1
    Using KDE Development Platform 4.9.4

Can somebody please help me getting this problem solved as this is pretty vital for me to make a definitive switch to Linux and dump Windows for good?

Thanks in advance for your help, it certainly is much appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Dolphin file manager > Rating/Tags/Comments are greyed o

Post by zerozero »

if i'm reading your post correctly you installed dolphin in cinnamon, this won't give you nepomuk integration http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk
for that you need the all kde suite (and you'll be better served if you install mint 14 kde seeing that this is a vital feature for you)
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep zerozero is spot on. As KDE programs like dolphin are integrated into the KDE desktop requiring additional support for using full feature set of Dolphin requires full kde desktop like Nepomuk or Strigi which are not a part of dolphin.

I bit the bullet and went to KDE and was pleasantly surprised. Also now all my apps remember things like Size & Position which for me is critical on a dual displays with 3 virtual desktops. Runs fast and no more ram resources than Cinnamon which I still love also. Also KDE has a huge amount of adjusting & tweaking desktop built in.
chitownWEB

Post by chitownWEB »

Thanks zerozero and Orbmiser for your response!

Based on your input I'll go ahead and fire up KDE in VirtualBox to give it a test drive.
Been reading up on that distro and it sounds like it has potential to make me happy... 8)

As a lifelong Windows users, I guess I was simply expecting/supposing that any software would install with ALL the necessary components it needs to provide full functionality.
I see a learning curve ahead of me... :shock: ...but that's all good!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

You might be surprised at KDE as a Gnome user thought I would hate it. But found liking it.
As to features those are not per say features of Dolphin as much as they are KDE desktop features that can be implemented in other programs as well.

One thing I like is can right click any app More Actions>Special Window Settings and set app to remember Size & Position.
Which is handy on Dual Displays using 3 Virtual Desktops.
chitownWEB

Post by chitownWEB »

Alright, so installed KDE and been fooling around with it today; so far, I like it!

Assigning Tags & Comments to files is working like a charm! :D
One thing though: when I click on "Find" and type in a tag, it doesn't find anything!!! :?

What are tags & comments good for if you can't search for them?!?!?! Exactly; NOTHING!!!
I suppose, being a newbie, I'm simply overlooking something that might be right in my face. Therefore, I'd appreciate it if somebody could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance for yall patience with a newbie...!

Return to “Software & Applications”