Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Davidicus
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to mount blank DVR disk.

Postby Davidicus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:36 am

I am running Mint14 64bit, and I cannot write onto a blank DVD. I get the message 'unable to mount blank DVR disk'. I've tried several different types of disks such as +R -R RW and even double layer, but I get the same response. It means I cannot copy anything to a blank DVD. I've also tried various disk writing programs, but when it gets to the actual process of writing to disk, nothing happens.

joksim
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to mount blank DVR disk.

Postby joksim » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:58 am

I have the same problem, except my disks are burned but doesn't work... i.e. they are not bootable (talking about ".iso" files).
Any solution pls?

Flemur
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Flemur » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:16 pm

I've also tried various disk writing programs,

Try k3b if you haven't. It's the only one that doesn't suck.
Mint 18 Mate/fluxbox/pulse-less - Xubuntu 16.04/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby DrHu » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:12 pm

The DVD media has to be a match for the DVD drive (dvd R- R+ or other ?)
    xfburn seems to be ok for me, also since you are on the main edition (Gnome base), Gnome baker might work, but I have found xfburn to be more reliable with media

http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/03/9-go ... s-for.html
--you can try others, but I would be careful about media (DVD) being used, as well noting that some brands of media may be better than others, for example the cheapest(not a major brand) may not always be the best..
--I tend to try Maxell, Fugi, being that they had good tape technologies (a good background in magnetic media/coatings, and had little problem switching to optical versions..)
http://www.techimo.com/forum/general-te ... brand.html
http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-re ... -media.asp

You can check, or choose on your own, your experience will tell you which works best: and since you can buy a single copy of a media (disk) you can determine that
    It is also worth considering a rw dvd media in order to use as a scratch disk: many people probably create too many write-once (Read only) dvd media and hardly use them again
    --a matter of organization/planning: it does help to be organized, although it can be a fair amount of work

wurzeld
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wurzeld » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Thought I would add my experience here - exactly the same problem, using Brasero, then Xfburn, so downloaded my favourite Gnomebaker.
Still got the same problem. The disk I was using was a Tesco DVD-RW and had been used for a few .iso's so being a thorough person I did not use the fast format option, and repeatedly got the 'unable to mount blank DVR disk' when I tried to burn a new distro, (the disk was showing as mounted in Nemo but not in "Disks") ....and then on a whim I tried the fast format using the "force" option - it worked and I was then able to go ahead and burn a lovely Manjaro iso !!
Manjaro then booted fine from the dvd without any problems.

System was Mint 15, Cinnamon, 64bit on a Lenovo T61

Return to “Software & Applications”