Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alan Reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Install Moonlight (silverlight for Linux) from terminal

Post by Alan Reynolds »

How can I install Silverlight on Firefox from the terminal rather than downloading from http://go-mono.com/moonlight. The download from the website does not work and I must have this software in operation. Any suggestions welcome.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Install Moonlight (silverlight for Linux) from terminal

Post by catweazel »

How can I install Silverlight on Firefox from the terminal
You don't. It has to be downloaded before it can be installed. Besides that, it worked fine here.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Alan Reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alan Reynolds »

Which version of Firefox and Linuxmint do you run. My attempt at running Moonlight resulted in an add-in and two Silverlight plugins in Firefox. Other than that a blank page appeared even when trying exemplars from the http://go-mono.com/moonlight. site.
HAMOS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HAMOS »

Is it just me or is the stable release not compatable with firefox 19.0.2? Please tell me I can still install moonlight.
Last edited by HAMOS on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
semicolon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by semicolon »

The development of the moonlight plugin was discontinued approximately a year ago. I believe it was because silverlight didn't become the big success that it was once thought it would and there were all sorts of troubles with licenses. HTML5 is the way to go now.

Therefore the moonlight plugin is probably no longer combatible with newer versions of firefox. If you really, really need silverlight for something, you need an older version of firefox or run Internet Explorer through wine.

Return to “Software & Applications”