Maya keeps saying Flash player is out of date

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Maya keeps saying Flash player is out of date

Post by roadrash »

Everytime i use firefox I am informed Flash player has been disabled because it is out of date and must be upgraded. I am given the options activate or update. If I click update it rakes me to adobe's website here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ where there is a message that adobe will no longer be supporting linux. :( :( I can download the latest version from their site but it doesn't offer it as a .deb file but asks for a application to open it with. I tried telling it to open with /User/sbin/synaptic but it just starts up synaptic without root privileges. If I click activate it does play flash media but the next time I start firefox again it nag me to update or activate again. Is there any way to stop this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mister_lister

Re: Maya keeps saying Flash player is out of date

Post by mister_lister »

I am having the same issue and I think most people will have this issue that use Linux. If you are on you tube or anywhere a flash video is and click on the warning (anywhere except the update link) you should see the vide and be able to play it still.

As per a statement some months ago, Adobe announced that they were ending all upgrades for Flash in Linux and would only release security updates for the last version of Flash for Linux.

For Firefox, It is not clear to me who will handle the security updates for Flash, whether it will be handled in the apt repositiories, through Mozilla, or some third party. The repositories are notorious slow in keeping up with updates and releases, it is generally done only after someting has been thoroughly tested and enough dust collects on it.

The Chrome and Chromium browsers have a plug in (which I conviently forgot the name of) which deals with Flash, so Chrome and Chromium users have a solve. If anyone can remember the name of the plug in for Chrome and can provide a link, please post it in this thread.
chris1379

Post by chris1379 »

I finally decide to tackle this. Open Synaptic and install flashplugin-installer. The latest version as of this post is 11.2.202.275ubuntu0.12.04.1. I tried many things before trying this and caused myself a huge headache.
mister_lister

Post by mister_lister »

chris1379 wrote:I finally decide to tackle this. Open Synaptic and install flashplugin-installer. The latest version as of this post is 11.2.202.275ubuntu0.12.04.1. I tried many things before trying this and caused myself a huge headache.
Yes that resolution solved it for me as well.

roadrash please edit the subject line to your first message in this thread and add [SOLVED] to it.

Thanks for the help chris1379.

Return to “Software & Applications”