Email client needed but, please, not Thunderbird...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
markfilipak
Level 4
Level 4

Email client needed but, please, not Thunderbird...

Postby markfilipak » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm writing this here (the Mint forum) under the assumption that it's the Mint folks who included Thunderbird. Actually, I don't know where the boundaries are between the Linux kernel, Mint, and Xfce.

I need an email client that does not use mbox. Any email storage system that uses file-per-message methods would be fine, but not Thunderbird (its maildir is not supported and doesn't make proper maildir file names).

The email client doesn't need to be a local server - there will be no other application accessing the mail store.

I tried Claws but there were too many bugs.

I installed Evolution and fiddled with configuration but couldn't discover what type of mail system it uses, so I removed it.

I installed Kmail and fiddled with configuration but couldn't discover what type of mail system it uses. Also, when I tried to get help, it wouldn't get help but instead complained that some kde package was missing.

Thanks for any help you care to give.
Mark.
VirtualBox 5.0.26
Host: Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
Guest: Linux Mint17.2+Xfce 64-bit

bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Email client needed but, please, not Thunderbird...

Postby bigj231 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:27 pm

I think you just went through the list of major ones. Here's something to look at. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_email_clients It's a lot of info, but it should help you pick out the right one. FYI, Evolution & kmail both support maildir and mbox. KDE apps on a non-KDE usually makes a mess though, so I would stick with evolution. EDIT: seems like evolution stores messages as mbox instead of maildir. Kmail does the same by default.
And yes, the Mint devs included Thunderbird.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz

markfilipak
Level 4
Level 4

Postby markfilipak » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 pm

bigj231 wrote:...look at. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_email_clients It's a lot of info...
That's where I compiled my list. I was hoping it was out of date.
bigj231 wrote:...KDE apps on a non-KDE usually makes a mess though, so I would stick with evolution.
I'm a Linux newbie and that's exactly the kind of info I need. Thanks!
bigj231 wrote:EDIT: seems like evolution stores messages as mbox instead of maildir. Kmail does the same by default.
And yes, the Mint devs included Thunderbird.
Evolution would be fine but I couldn't figure out what method it used and how to set it. Do you know how to set up Evolution? I checked with the controlling desktop docs ...Gnome I think... but I couldn't find the answer. Perhaps there's a Gnome forum? I'll search, but if you know, would you kindly clue me into it?

Regards,
Mark.
VirtualBox 5.0.26

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DataMan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:02 am

KDE apps on a non-KDE usually makes a mess though

For the benefit of newbies reading through this thread, the above statement is not, generally accurate. Since dirt was invented, I've run a number of kde apps quite successfully in non kde environments on a consistent basis. What will happen when you install the first kde app in a non-kde desktop is that you will also install a long list of kde libraries.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby catweazel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:24 am

DataMan wrote:
KDE apps on a non-KDE usually makes a mess though

For the benefit of newbies reading through this thread, the above statement is not, generally accurate. Since dirt was invented, I've run a number of kde apps quite successfully in non kde environments on a consistent basis. What will happen when you install the first kde app in a non-kde desktop is that you will also install a long list of kde libraries.

-DataMan

+1 from me. You saved me the bother of protesting the statement with an "Unmittigated drivel" assertion. Ta.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.14.2, custom preemptive kernel 3.16.5,
Intel i7 4820K @ 4.7GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
3122MHz XMP, 4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in
RAID0, 6TB HW RAID10, 3 x 24" Samsung UlHD,
Dual R290X

JWJones
Level 2
Level 2

Postby JWJones » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 pm

markfilipak
Level 4
Level 4

Postby markfilipak » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm

I've heard that the more KDE applications that you install, the better are the chances that a needed library file will already be present when you install your next KDE-app.

I installed Kmail and some KDE libraries were missing, so some things didn't work and threw errors.

It occurs to me that the more K-apps you install, the more your system becomes Linux Mint + KDE regardless of how it began life. For a system like mine that's Linux Mint + Xfce, then what bigj231 wrote makes a lot of sense. Wouldn't you agree?

Thanks guys - Mark.
VirtualBox 5.0.26

Return to “Software & Applications”