Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

MintBackup of Programs appears broken

Post by Oldbwl »

I have only been a linux user for 12 months and only migrated from Ubuntu 13.04 to Mint 14 Cinnamon in the last 2 weeks. And I am loving it - just as much as I did when my Atari 1024ST was delivered all those years ago!!!

I have two very succesful installs. One for work and one for home - a laptop will follow as soon as Mint 15 is released.

I am getting ready for the update at the end of this month and having read the advice of doing a fresh install instead of an inplace upgrade, I decided to give Mintbackup a trial run. Good job I did as I have found on both machines the File backup part works just fine, but the list of selected files/packages installed does not work at all.

I selected Mintbackup Tool from Menu, input my password and then clicked "Backup software selection". The Destination intially shows as Root. As the Hard Drive is to be erased, I changed that to a Folder on a Local Drive. Clicking Forward takes me to the Application selection screen. "Select All" followed by Apply should save something since the box has many items checked. But all that happens is the list of apps flies rapidly in the dialogue box and the chosen folder remains totally empty. The whole process takes just an instant.

Just to be certain, I tried a restore and the Mint Backup Tool found nothing to restore.

I do hope someone can help me sort this out prior to the new release, I would hate to have to rebuild everything again.

If Mintbackup wont work on the Applications, is there any other program I could try - Deja-Dup works fine for me, but it is a file based backup and I really want an Application backup.

Thanks
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Re: MintBackup of Programs appears broken

Post by Oldbwl »

OOh!, I have just solved the problem myself, I can see what is happening now. The text file containing the list of packages to install is being saved but in "Root" - no matter what directory or drive I select - Ho Hum. Well we have a plan now! :D
Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dyfi »

Additionally, I would recommend a weekly backup image.

Google Clonezilla and Redo Backup.
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldbwl »

Dyfi wrote:Additionally, I would recommend a weekly backup image.

Google Clonezilla and Redo Backup.
Most definitely, an imprtant part of staying safe. I have seen more than one upgrade fresh or inplace, go wrong to the point of not being able to start the system, and disks do fail eventually.

But it is a relief to be able to use MintBackup Tool to be able to partly automate the upgrade process. - but unless I am very much mistaken, the tool should be placing the file anywhere but the Root folder, and certainly it should be going where I directed it in the setup routine.
barcinka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barcinka »

I have the same problem. I want to upgrade to Mint 15, but my Backup tool produces no output, not even in the root folder. Also when I try to restore, it cannot find anything.
There are no hidden files in that external directory as well as in the root directory.
What should I do? Is it possible to backup my software selection with other tool, upgrade and then restore it to my new system?
Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 64 bit.

Return to “Software & Applications”