Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Inotamira
Level 1
Level 1

Wallpapoz, wallch, and any other wallpaper changer

Post by Inotamira »

I've gone through about 5 different automatic wallpaper changer under cinnamon, while they get the job done they hang the system shortly when the wallpapers are switched out.

Is their one that doesn't do this or a way to remove the system wide "hicup"?
edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wallpapoz, wallch, and any other wallpaper changer

Post by edwardr »

I had an issue in xfce with changing wallpapers using the built-in functionality and I switched to having a chron job reload the wallpaper every hour. But I don't know what the wallpaper reload command would be in Cinnamon. You might also try using feh, which I tinkered with a couple years ago with Mint Fluxbox. Back then I found the following, written by someone else, which might be an option for you:

Begin text from google:

The only thing missing was a wallpaper changer, so I threw together a little script to display a random one. Be sure you have FEH installed and are not using pcmanfm to manage your desktop. Just save it somewhere, chmod +x it, and add it to ~/.bashrc (I start a terminal at login) with a & at the end of the line and you are good to go.

#change wallpaper randomly
#by scott goodgame 2010

#! /bin/bash
WALLPAPER_DIRECTORY=~/DesktopStuff/wallpaper
INTERVAL=300 # number of seconds to keep each wallpaper
FILES=($WALLPAPER_DIRECTORY/*)

while true; do
feh --bg-fill ${FILES[RANDOM%${#FILES[@]} ]}
sleep $INTERVAL
done
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true
Inotamira
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Inotamira »

edwardr wrote:I had an issue in xfce with changing wallpapers using the built-in functionality and I switched to having a chron job reload the wallpaper every hour. But I don't know what the wallpaper reload command would be in Cinnamon. You might also try using feh, which I tinkered with a couple years ago with Mint Fluxbox. Back then I found the following, written by someone else, which might be an option for you:

Begin text from google:

The only thing missing was a wallpaper changer, so I threw together a little script to display a random one. Be sure you have FEH installed and are not using pcmanfm to manage your desktop. Just save it somewhere, chmod +x it, and add it to ~/.bashrc (I start a terminal at login) with a & at the end of the line and you are good to go.

#change wallpaper randomly
#by scott goodgame 2010

#! /bin/bash
WALLPAPER_DIRECTORY=~/DesktopStuff/wallpaper
INTERVAL=300 # number of seconds to keep each wallpaper
FILES=($WALLPAPER_DIRECTORY/*)

while true; do
feh --bg-fill ${FILES[RANDOM%${#FILES[@]} ]}
sleep $INTERVAL
done
While feh can load images, it doesn't seem capable of setting my background
Inotamira
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Inotamira »

Alright, I have this script here setup to work for cinnamon, all I'd need to do is have it load at start up (simple enough).

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

DIR="/home/inotamira/Pictures/"

PIC=$(ls $DIR/*.* | shuf -n1)

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri file://$PIC

sleep 15
exec bash "/home/user/Wallpaper.sh"
done

Return to “Software & Applications”