Which other application is using APT?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Which other application is using APT?

Post by pepperminty »

How can I figure out which other program is using APT?

The status bar at the bottom of Update Manager says "Another application is using APT"
This problem could have arisen from my exiting Update Manager when it appeared to crash.

Using Mint 13 Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Which other application is using APT?

Post by xenopeek »

Well, close all applications you have open. If it is still giving that error, reboot. If it is still giving that error, check back here and we'll have to kick some lock file I think.

Unless you installed any additional APT front-ends, this would be Software Manager, Synaptic Package Manager, apt-get, or aptitude.
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hal8000 »

Sometimes listing open files will work, try

Code: Select all

lsof | grep synaptic]
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Thanks, xenopeek & hal8000, for your replies.
I figured it out. It was when I needed to shut down computer (I had to leave the place I was at) that I realized the "Installation in progress" sub-window of Update Manager was running. The reason why I didn't see this at first was because that window did not have a corresponding "tab"in my desktop panel (the place where I see tabs for open programs).

Return to “Software & Applications”