Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
den68
Level 1
Level 1

Google Maps in Mint 15 Cinnamon + Firefox 21

Post by den68 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm running Mint 15 RC Cinnamon with Firefox 21, and it seems the new Google Maps interface is not working well.
The maps appears, but impossible to scroll, zoom and search, so I have to fall back to Google Maps old version.
in Chrome it works well, only Firefox seems to be impacted here.
I did some search and found some people with similar problem in Ubuntu 13.04, but the solutions they propose don't work for me.

are there people using Mint 15 who have the same issue ? have you been able to fix it ?
thanks,
chris

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Google Maps in Mint 15 Cinnamon + Firefox 21

Post by xenopeek » Tue May 28, 2013 1:26 pm

For anybody else that doesn't follow, Google has apparently made a new version of Google Maps that is currently available as a preview (i.e., unstable beta): http://maps.google.com/help/maps/hellow ... p/preview/. You need a Google Account to be invited to try it.

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo » Tue May 28, 2013 2:33 pm

den68 wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm running Mint 15 RC Cinnamon with Firefox 21, and it seems the new Google Maps interface is not working well.
The maps appears, but impossible to scroll, zoom and search, so I have to fall back to Google Maps old version.
in Chrome it works well, only Firefox seems to be impacted here.
I did some search and found some people with similar problem in Ubuntu 13.04, but the solutions they propose don't work for me.

are there people using Mint 15 who have the same issue ? have you been able to fix it ?
thanks,
chris
It has been working for me (13 and 15RC) - did you try - 1)Clear cache and cookies? (you may have to open your invite e-mail again). 2)Start FF with addons disabled? Can you say more about what you tried that didn't work?

Pat

den68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by den68 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:17 pm

HI Pat,
yes I've tried to clear cache and cookies, but it didn't help.
Basically I just go to maps.google.com, new version of gmaps loads as if everything is ok, but I cannot move the map, zoom in or perform any search.
When doing the same in Chrome or Chromium, it works well, so I suppose it's something to do with Firefox 21. Now if it works for you I'm not sure what's the cause.
On some ubuntu forums I've read that a solution could be to force-enable webgl in the Firefox hidden parameters, but this didn't solve my problem either.
I'll post the solution if I find it.

thanks,

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo » Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 pm

I searched and saw the fix you mentioned - for me webgl.force-enabled is set to false. If you think there are webgl issues with the browser you can test some of the models here. You can also try the help/feedback - maybe you will get a response being beta...Looking forward to hear how you make out.

Pat

FWIW - With no webgl you will be thrown into Lite mode but even then all the functions you are missing should still work - I tried it.

den68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by den68 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:31 am

Yes it works as a workaround, I applied the following change in Firefox config :
webgl.min_capability_mode to True
Now I can use Google Maps, but I get the following notification from Google :
"You are currently running in Lite mode and 3D Earth view is not available."

This is good as a workaround as I don't need 3D Earth View anyway and everything else seems to work fine.
I'll try to reactivate full Webgl features when Firefox 22 is out, to see if anything gets fixed in the way

thanks for your help !

Return to “Software & Applications”