difference between the lm firefox and regualr one?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Espair
Level 1
Level 1

difference between the lm firefox and regualr one?

Postby Espair » Fri May 31, 2013 12:56 pm

lm comes with their own version of firefox pre-installed. And its based off ff 20, but 21 is out and I was going to update, but whats the difference between them?

Also, adding google as a search engine seems to be bugged, i get 404 errors when i try using it.

bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Re: difference between the lm firefox and regualr one?

Postby bigj231 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:43 pm

I think the only real difference is the branding and some of the defaults. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I usually use opera.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby palo » Fri May 31, 2013 3:45 pm

Espair wrote:lm comes with their own version of firefox pre-installed. And its based off ff 20, but 21 is out and I was going to update, but whats the difference between them?

Also, adding google as a search engine seems to be bugged, i get 404 errors when i try using it.

Hello Espair> Mint "comes with" whichever FF version is available when the packages are put together for the ISO build. Through regular updates (eg. MintUpdate) new versions are implemented and it has been at 21 for quite some time. Mint version has bookmarks added and the Mint Search Enhancer which generates some income for Mint - you are free to disable that and also change to Google as the default - it is easy. More about adding Google and others are here. Scroll down and choose the one you want.

Pat

ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ander111 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:30 pm

The Mint "branding" on Firefox is rather overbearing and irrelevant, if you ask me.

I thought the whole idea of Firefox was to avoid things like branding and corporatization. I remember that one of the reasons FF became a separate branch of the Mozilla project was objections over Netscape's sponsorship.

It might be different if Mint actually had anything to do with FF's development, or if their customizations somehow enhanced Google searches. (They used to limit them, actually—is that still the case?) But no, it's more like, "Hey, people use Firefox a lot, so let's establish a visual presence there—rather than in, say, LibreOffice, or Frozen Bubble." It's so random, app-wise.

I haven't used the Mint-ized version of FF for some time, but I'm also guessing that it points you to certain advertisers who've crossed Mint's palm with silver. Isn't that the usual reason people do that kind of thing? I'm just wondering: How does that fit into the whole Linuxy "we're not on any company's payroll" philosophy?

bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bigj231 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Holy necropost Batman!
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz

Return to “Software & Applications”