Burn true audio CD (not WAV) in Brasero

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
owen_wade

Burn true audio CD (not WAV) in Brasero

Post by owen_wade »

Running Mint 14 Cinnamon with built-in Brasero. It's easy to make "audio cds" --but only as long as your CD player plays WAV CDs! :x

I'm making a CD for my mom's commute, and the one in her car doesn't, it just plays regular audio CDs if you know what I mean. But it seems like there is no option for this in Brasero and every tutorial I find assumes you're playing the audio in a PC or a stereo that can play WAVs. (I realize that CDs are becoming a legacy item, but the fact that one needs a CD to play music would imply that is not using a PC to listen to the music, or that one's stereo doesn't have a USB port or line in for mp3 player, maybe is old, so someone burning an audio CD would want the option of a non- mp3/wav cd. But I digress.)

Heck, can Brasero even make Mp3 CDs? My car can play those.

It just seems like the only audio CD it will make is a WAV one, unless I'm supposed to save the audio as an image file and then burn that? Simple interface is nice, but seems like an odd thing to leave out. Apologies if I'm wrong, but my dumb question might help a fellow newbie in the future.

[if Brasero is not an option, any suggestions for another app? I've read some recommendations online but they all include Brasero in "good CD burning apps" which means their other suggested software might also not be able to make the traditional audio CD that I need.]
homerscousin

Re: Burn true audio CD (not WAV) in Brasero

Post by homerscousin »

You might want to try K3b. That's KDE's burning program. I think you can find quite a few threads here where people have compared the 2 apps and preferred K3b. I do. I have not burned a true audio cd, but have burned a few mp3 dvd's. They work. On the computer of course. K3b does have a 'new audio cd project' button. I have not used it. Not much, but at least look at K3b.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

I've been using Linux Mint for about 5 years and I don't think I've found a version of Brasero that actually works properly.

Which begs the question, why the hell is it still the default burning programme?

Anyway, as above, use K3b or like me use Xfburn.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Brasero is the default program provided in the Gnome DE "suite", so... here it is.

Meanwhile, many bugs on Brasero have been reported by users since many years, but very few have been actively followed by these same users, as if bugs would be automagically wiped once reported without further cooperation with the devs. If the community does not actively participate to bug squashing, the devs cannot play divination. Why would they even bother when a question about the outcome of a potential fix has not been answered since 5 years ? When users act like proprietary software customers ranting and waiting for the solution and not like a community helping to find it, many open-source software cannot be improved...

Brasero plays well with some tasks and very badly with others, is good with some media and not with others and so on. There are alternatives which will work where it fails, like K3B or Xfburn, however each of them has also its own weaknesses or lack of features. As recommended above, I would rather use Xfburn for Audio CD burning: it has never failed me, yet.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Usually you have to convert the default file saving into audio tracks for a CD audio disk (instead of computer files, .wav or .ogg or some other format..)
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2001/01/05/record_cd.html?page=2
cdrecord from that link shows how, it is an older but also reliable process
http://linux.togaware.com/survivor/Audio_CD.html
--or you can use xfburn and write an audio only disk
http://writtenandread.net/xfburn/
  • It is also possible to create audio CDs in what people used to call “a regular CD player”,
There is a brasero article showing howto with that application
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/linux/Brasero-Review-70054.shtml
--but I haven't found Brasero all that reliable, even for regular CD files..
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/Tools/GnomeBaker-3702.shtml
  • Create audio cds from existing wavs, mp3, flac and oggs
There is some choice, best to try them and see which you think is best (for you..)
http://www.imgburn.com/
--that app could run under wine, as an alternative: being we are using Linux not always the best option, but still available as a user choice.
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
owen_wade

Post by owen_wade »

Downloaded and installed Xfburn, very nice program, but same result as Brasero: tried the "audio cd playable in regular stereos" option which sounds great but got another WAV disc that the car can't recognize. Looked in Xfburn's preferences but no option to change that.

DrHu's suggestions are welcome but a bit beyond me at this point I think. I just want a simple program with a GUI to make "ordinary" audio CDs (like xfburn and brasero say they can.)

Maybe I need a separate application to convert audio file types ?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

If you want to make a MP3 CD, create a "data CD" and gather the MP3 folders/files you want to put on it.

If you want to make an Audio CD, create an "audio CD" and gather source files which will be converted to CD audio tracks. You need the adequate gstreamer transcoder for that ("good", "bad" or "ugly" gstreamer plugins).

[url=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=356783Capturedu20130619132419.png][img]http://img4.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_356783Capturedu20130619132419.png[/img][/url]
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Yeah, it sounds like you are missing a required codec. Xfburn works fine for me to make audio-cds (not data cds which contain .wav files) when I choose that option. IIRC, so did brasero when I tried it, but it didn't seem to offer me anything that Xfburn did not. As did k3b when I used it on other distros (k3b offers quite a bit, but appears to have a lot of dependencies (I have no KDE apps installed).

Did you, by chance, download/burn/install the "no codecs" - or, possibly, the OEM version if it's like the "no codecs" version - of Mint instead of the regular one? Because I'm pretty sure that the regular Mint versions include everything you would need to burn audio cds.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
rogerthat1945

Post by rogerthat1945 »

owen_wade wrote:Running Mint 14 Cinnamon with built-in Brasero. It's easy to make "audio cds" --but only as long as your CD player plays WAV CDs! :x

I'm making a CD for my mom's commute, and the one in her car doesn't, it just plays regular audio CDs if you know what I mean. But it seems like there is no option for this in Brasero and every tutorial I find assumes you're playing the audio in a PC or a stereo that can play WAVs. (I realize that CDs are becoming a legacy item, but the fact that one needs a CD to play music would imply that is not using a PC to listen to the music, or that one's stereo doesn't have a USB port or line in for mp3 player, maybe is old, so someone burning an audio CD would want the option of a non- mp3/wav cd. But I digress.)

Heck, can Brasero even make Mp3 CDs? My car can play those.

It just seems like the only audio CD it will make is a WAV one, unless I'm supposed to save the audio as an image file and then burn that? Simple interface is nice, but seems like an odd thing to leave out. Apologies if I'm wrong, but my dumb question might help a fellow newbie in the future.

[if Brasero is not an option, any suggestions for another app? I've read some recommendations online but they all include Brasero in "good CD burning apps" which means their other suggested software might also not be able to make the traditional audio CD that I need.]
I am having the same problem in LinuxMint 16, I have tried to do a car CD for five weeks using every program and Disc you can shake a stick at.

Maybe the program writers hate humans?

Did you get a fix, as I am sick to death of reading hundreds of fixes which never work. I am bored of the boring reading for what should be a SIMPLE process.

MP3 onto a CD.

P.S.
Mine is a Dynabook i7 with a clean install of LixMnt16 on an SSD.
LinuxMint 15 gave me the middle finger also early last month, until I `found` LM16.

I might go back to Windows XP if there is/was no fix. Its been a TIME SUCK for too long already.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

K3b can do that if you have installed libk3b6-extracodecs package

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libk3b6-extracodecs
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

K3b, xfburn and Brasero are all three capable to burn audio CDs through (WAV|Ogg|MP3) transcoding to standard audio CD tracks.

Brasero: http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/h ... .burn.html
FirebirdTN

Post by FirebirdTN »

When browsing the contents of an Audio CD, tracks that are displyed with the .wav extension are not itself indicative of a problem, and is in fact normal behavior:

I know this is an older thread, but I did want add a reply for anyone who lands on this in future searches, but had to verify something first before posting since I stumbled onto this over the weekend researching something. I work in radio and we do a lot of audio production stuff (I don't personally, but work around those that do):

As a long time Windows user, when you put a pure audio CD into a windows computer and view its contents, all the files will show up with a .cda extension. When you get right down to it, pressed audio cd .cda files are linear 16bit stereo PCM files @ 44.1Khz sample rates (in other words, they are essentially .wav files).

It alwasy baffled me why you couldn't just drag and drop files off a CD and you had to "extract" them first. In the early 2000s, I stumbled upon a little known piece of software put out by Plextor called "Plextor Manager 2000", which included a device driver called CDFS.sys. Basically what that did was install as a system driver so that files on an Audio cd would be displayed as .wav files instead of .cda, then you could drag and drop them as if they were files on a hard drive. Plus you could use audio editors to grab the files without having to go to a separate "Extract Audio from CD" routine, which back in the day often would not work without admistrative rights to the computers (something I would not allow at the time).

The bad news was CDFS only worked with Plextor drives, AND only worked on Windows computers up to, and including Windows 2000.

I searched high and low for YEARS for another CDFS driver for windows, but none was ever to be found. Upon exhaustive websearching looking for another Windows CDFS, it seemed Linux uses CDFS for audio CDs by default, because that is all I ever got with my search results.

On a fresh Mint 13 install, I popped in a plain jane, pressed (not CD-R) purchased audio CD, and all tracks appear as .wav.

In other words, audio CDs with tracks showing up as .wav instead of .cda is perfectly normal.

-Alan
rogerthat1945

Post by rogerthat1945 »

administrollaattori wrote:K3b can do that if you have installed libk3b6-extracodecs package

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libk3b6-extracodecs
Thank you for that. One installed.
It would seem obvious to me that ALL codecs would be in a software install from the get go. Especially if it is only a few Kb.

Most drives have a few gigs to spare on install; and not everyone wants a hard bumpy road when going off the Microsoft route.

An install should include EVERYTHING, up until 10-20Gb (especially as Windows 8.1 is around 40Gb fully installed with their Office suite inc)..
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Unfortunately, all available useful codecs/libraries are not necessarily legal in the country where you live. That is why there are "no-codec" releases of Mint.

Return to “Software & Applications”