Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CoopedeVille
Level 1
Level 1

resume from sleep results in shutdown

Post by CoopedeVille » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:54 am

I've come upon my computer quite a few times now where it will be in sleep mode after hours of inactivity. The power button led is unlit. Initially, I pressed the power button to wake it. The computer powered on for a second or two then shut down. And it has been doing this shortly after I had Linux 15 Mint installed. I've heard there may be conflicts with xfce and acpi. Is this the case with my situation?

Sincerely,

Restarts Often...

jsplicer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: resume from sleep results in shutdown

Post by jsplicer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 pm

I solved this problem in mine becuase I had, and older kernel installed from the RC candidate. Try upgrading to the latest stable kernel... I'm using 3.8.0-25 now with no problems waking from suspend to ram. Matter of fact I have no problems at all at the moment...with this kernel....

If your not sure how to upgrade your kernel open up 'synaptic package manager, and do a kernel search for the latest stable, as long as you have only stable releases checked off in your software sources of the app. If your familiar with the terminal you can try 'sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic' for the latest generic kernel.

Hope this helps a little....
Motherboard: EP45 UD3P
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q8400
Memory: 4GiB DDR2 PC6400
GPU: NVIDIA GK107 Geforce GTX650
HD Drives: 1 SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120 GiB for /, Western Digital 1 TB for /home, USB2 500 GiB WD drive for /home backup

CoopedeVille
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CoopedeVille » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:34 am

It worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion!

geoffm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by geoffm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Had this problem too for 2 days after installing olivia. Sometimes it would crash upon waking up sometimes it was fine. Now I just upgraded to a new kernel (3.8.0.27.45 now) and I've been through a few suspend-wake without crashing. knock on wood...

bwat47
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bwat47 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:24 pm

I switched from ubuntu to xubuntu today and started running into a very similar issue (not sure if its the same issue but sounds similar. on my case the power led is still blinking indicating it is suspended, and as soon as I open it then it shuts off). I was already running the latest kernel on vanilla ubuntu before switching over to xubuntu (and my xubuntu install is also fully updates). it only seems to happen after the laptop was suspended for an hour or more. I think its some kind of weird issue caused by xfce...

Return to “Software & Applications”