Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Rbassett87
Level 1
Level 1

Any alternative to Itunes??

Post by Rbassett87 »

So I have been using linux mint and I use my 2005 ipod more than my iphone for music. It syncs well with banshee/rythym box. I decided to go ahead and sync my music on my iphone. It says it does it. But the songs are not in my music. I used my wifes pc for the time being and just went to itunes and went ahead and transferred the songs onto a usb and on to the itunes to other pc and did the sync. When I do this next time is there a better way to sync the music without having to go through all of that trouble. Is there a way to have itunes (without killing myself to get it)

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Any alternative to Itunes??

Post by jesica »

Rhythmbox. It is similar to itunes.
https://projects.gnome.org/rhythmbox/

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

MysticGold04
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MysticGold04 »

Unfortunately, there are no good alternatives that work correctly with the new IPhones. I have an Ipod touch 2nd Gen and it does not play well with Linux either. I am a music lover and like to carry most of my music with me, so I got a 32GB SD card for my android phone and copied all my music to it manually through Mint. I have not tried syncing or making playlists yet with Banshee or Rhythmbox or even Clementine, but plan to soon.

For the older Ipod devices like you have up to the "Classic" model, Linux does fine with them, just not the newer ones. This is just my experience though ;)
Acer Aspire 4730Z/4GB/Mint 17.3/Cinnamon x64
Homebuilt AMD Phenom II 545/4GB/LM 17.3/Pulling HTPC duty

Rbassett87
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rbassett87 »

Im always hearing about clementine. I might be giving that a try. It would be nice to have something that would sync to my iphone correctly. I will find a way though. For now I will be using my 05 ipod lol.

blendenzo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blendenzo »

Rbassett87 wrote:I will find a way though.
I doubt you will. Trust me. I've spent a considerable amount of time researching this issue. Just use iTunes.

But... since it is not likely you'll take my word for it... here is the best information on iPhone support in Linux:

http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

Scroll down to "Status" to see what works and what doesn't. You will notice that Music/Video synching only works with iOS 4.3.5 or older. From what I can tell, there is no other library which properly supports modern iDevices on Linux.

txneo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by txneo »

I agree with blendenzo. I've also spent considerable time looking for a solution for my iPod Touch 4g. The really sad part is that it used to work just fine, until Apple upgrades killed it. I am currently using Mint 13 with iOS 6.0.1. Things ALMOST work.

When the iPod is connected, Linux opens browser windows which browse pictures, and documents. There are apparently too many attempts at mounting the filesystem as several errors about not being able to mount the device appear, even though it is obviously mounted.

The Document browser window allows files to be read and written to most app data stores. This works well. Also, Rhythmbox can see and manipulate music data. Songs can be downloaded from the iPod, and seemingly uploaded to it. Curiously, you can upload a song to the device and then play it off of the device (through Rhythmbox). So, they must actually be in the memory of the iPod. However, songs uploaded by Rhythmbox do not appear in the iPod Music app.

My understanding for this is that Apple has obfuscated the database for music files to prevent anything but iTunes from updating it. This is why uploaded music files don't get included.

I'd love to find more information about this issue, and any corrections to my post are welcome.

kaidukhanne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kaidukhanne »

It's an older thread, but came across it and thought I'd throw in my 2 bits.
I was looking for a way to sync the contacts from the iPhone under linux to transfer to google for the switch to android.
I ended up using an XP vm (virtual box), passing the iPhone to the VM, and letting it do it's thing with iTunes.
Gotta be careful though, it tried to update my outlook contacts (it's a work machine and I have to run outlook, that's why I had the VM) even though I had not selected it to.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

kaidukhanne wrote:I ended up using an XP vm (virtual box), passing the iPhone to the VM, and letting it do it's thing with iTunes.
I've been preaching it for years. It's the only sane way to do it.

Return to “Software & Applications”