Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
shelleyfrank
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Getting Flash to work on Linux Mint

Post by shelleyfrank » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 am

palo wrote:
With that old card the 10.3 version may be the only way to get flash.

Pat
LOL!! I have an older graphics card than that. Nvidia4 MX 440. The sollution works for me too. I have uninstalled the mint flashplugin 11 and downgraded to 10.3 and it works in Opera browser. Doesn't work in Chromium, and haven't tested any other browser. Thanks for the tip Pat.

Tuna_130
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tuna_130 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:19 pm

This is how I solved the issue for an old pc. It turnes out that older computers are unable to run the latest flash version.

Try this:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
Read the line 'flags' and search for 'sse2'. If it is not there, you cannot load the latest version on flash.
Your will probably only find 'sse' in that case.

Now your only option is to remove all flash versions and manually install version 11.1, which is the last one that was supported for non-sse2.
Remove:

sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer
sudo apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin
sudo apt-get purge mint-flashplugin-11 
Find flashplayer 11.1 here: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_11.1.102.63_archive.zip
Unzip it, and find the .tar.gz file for your machine architecture. Untar that, and then copy the file libflashplayer.so into the right folder.
Their place should be in /usr/lib/browsername/plugins. So for Firefox for example:

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
After restarting Firefox, it should work, but only with a warning about the old version you are using.
Click on activate Adobe flash, and then allow and remember for only those sites that you trust.

Last step is to avoid the update manager from updating your old flashplayer to a newer one.

sudo apt-mark hold flashplugin-installer
sudo apt-mark hold adobe-flashplugin
sudo apt-mark hold mint-flashplugin-11
My source of information comes from here: [url]http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/8593-get-flashplayer-working-on-old-computers-under-bodhi-23/[/url]
(I highly recommend Bodhi Linux for old computers; it is lighter on resources than Mint XFCE or even LXDE.)
Good luck!

itnoworky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by itnoworky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:42 am

Tuna_130 - your post worked for me - many thanks. I'm running Linux Mint 13 on an old Dell Inspiron 4100 - always nice to know the little tests you can do to try and understand why things don't work - so I was grateful for your instruction to use "cat" and check the flags line (came up "sse"). Had wasted many hours trying multiple installs / removals via Softwarer Manager and Package Manager and then progressed onto manual install using terminal as per the instructions in the READ ME file Adobe provide with the download.

For Firefox newbies, the option to allow using the old flash plugin is the icon that appears just before the full web address at the top of the page. Click on this to reveal the option of Allow and Remember as per Tuna_130's instructions. Took me a while to find this (was looking in Add-ons / Plugins via the Tools menu).

Chucky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chucky » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:22 am

I had the same problem...after trying some of the previous "fixxes" the problem was still unresolved. I used Adobe Flash player loaded from Software Manager, I then opened Firefox and opened Add-ons Manager. When I checked "Plugins" I noticed Shockwave Flash was set to "Never Activate". Reset Shockwave to "Always Activate" and now everything works.

crissc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crissc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:27 am

Hi everyone,
I thank you, mostly gold_finger, for this solution.
I was looking for an issue to get the flashplugin to work.
Thanks to, firstly, this [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=150779&p=787364&hilit=flashplugin#p787364]post[/url] and then the actual one, I finaly "found" the solution. It even works with very old hardware configuration, mine supports neither sse2 nor sse, only mmx between others !
I however have a question, why "set to old" the packages flashplugin-installer (and others) as we purged previously the system from those packages ?

Regards
crissc

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:42 pm

@crissc
crissc wrote:I however have a question, why "set to old" the packages flashplugin-installer (and others) as we purged previously the system from those packages ?
Good question. If using the method on this page, I'm not entirely sure that you do need to do that because, as you pointed out, the packages were purged. So, you would think that they wouldn't be in danger of being updated since they don't exist on the system anymore to be chosen for upgrading. I'm not 100% sure that you can skip that part of the instructions, but you probably can. If one skips it and later finds that flash videos stop working, then just repeat proceedure and do the hold on packages.

If you used the first option I proposed on the link you referenced, then you would definitely have to mark the packages for holding because, in that solution you are using them to install the older flashplayer.

Quick note for anyone with flash problems reading this: the actual flash packages installed on your system may vary from ones mentioned here or on my post. So, if you see that is the case from your output, make sure to substitute the actual package names for your system in the commands for removing them from the system. Also, if doing the steps for putting a hold on updates, substitute those same package names for the ones noted here if they are different. (If following 1st option from my solution linked to by crissc you would only put a hold on the two packages I noted on that page.)
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

cherubyn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Getting Flash to work on Linux Mint <SOLVED>

Post by cherubyn » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:56 pm

I encountered the same problem ( no youtube in Firefox 25/ Linux Mint Maya) and tried all the above. No succes.
Maybe I overlook something that is crucial. I'm new to Linux.
I've installed Linux Mint dual boot to WinXp. In Xp Youtube videos do play in Firefox. So it cannot be the processor that's obsolete.
What do I miss here? Any help is most welcome.
Last edited by cherubyn on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:58 pm

cherubyn wrote:I've installed Linux Mint dual boot to WinXp. In Xp Youtube videos do play in Firefox. So it cannot be the processor that's obsolete.
Don't know whether the above even applies to your computer, but if it does the problem is not necessarily the age of the processor, it's that Adobe decided to not include support for some older processors into their latest Linux flashplugins. They provide much support for Windows -- but the bare minimum for Linux. If their latest flashplugins work on your computer in Windows that's only because Adobe decided to build that into their Windows version.

To find out for sure if this applies to you follow the initial steps here:
[url]http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1491[/url]
If you see that it does apply, just continue on with the steps to install the older flash version. Basically, I applied info found in various posts (including my own) and combined it all into step-by-step instructions covering two different methods of installing an older working flashplugin. Tried to make it as thorough and foolproof as possible.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppimike » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Not sure if this helps you or not (depends) but I managed to get YouTube to play BEAUTIFULLY on this old laptop with SMPlayer's SMTube.

Literally, nearly always 1080p full screen, it's wonderful! :)

Hope that is of some help, anyway!

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:47 pm

@hoppimike,
Holy cow!!!! Never heard of that one before. Just gave it a try on an old test computer. You weren't kidding! Unbelieveable quality video -- no stuttering, sluggishness, ... nothin! Very glad you pointed that one out. Thank you. Looks like a great tool to use on any computer -- new or old.

hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppimike » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:01 pm

gold_finger wrote:@hoppimike,
Holy cow!!!! Never heard of that one before. Just gave it a try on an old test computer. You weren't kidding! Unbelieveable quality video -- no stuttering, sluggishness, ... nothin! Very glad you pointed that one out. Thank you. Looks like a great tool to use on any computer -- new or old.
haha glad you like it, dude!

I was very pleased when I discovered it, I can tell you!

This laptop is old and struggles a bit with normal YouTube even sometimes at the lower resolutions. But with SMTube I just crank up the resolution and full screen it!

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 pm

hoppimike wrote:I was very pleased when I discovered it, I can tell you!

This laptop is old and struggles a bit with normal YouTube even sometimes at the lower resolutions. But with SMTube I just crank up the resolution and full screen it!
Yeah, pretty amazing. The machine I tested it on is one I had to put an older flashplugin on for it to work. It does work pretty well with that, but not even close to how that SMTube player works. Unbelieveable!

Maybe I can return the favor and point you to something pretty cool. I noticed your post elsewhere that you use and like Xfce. I do too -- have it on four computers, old and new systems. I just discovered a relatively new distro (I think they're only a few years old) out of France called Voyager. Let me just say that they have done some pretty unique things with there Xfce-based distro. Very, very impressive! So much so that I've already installed it on my main laptop and an older (2004) laptop, with plans to put it on at least one more computer within the next couple of days. (I frequently check out and test other distros - mainly on VirtualBox -- but I almost never actually install one for regular use unless I'm convinced it's something special.) You should check it out. The website is in French, but there is a Google Translate button on the site if you don't know French. Here it is: [url]http://voyager.legtux.org/[/url]

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:56 pm

squirrels000 wrote:
Anyone know anything else I could try??

Thanks in advance.Let me know if you need more info.
Let me make it clear, this is a security risk and i'd strongly advise that you try it only on a spare computer which you use only for watching videos and stuff. Download and install Isadora, go to your Update preferences and mark the option "Always Ask", never update anything ever..best part is the flash videos you stream load simultaneously in your temp folder and you can open them with VLC. No other browser/flash combo post the one in Isadora allows you to do that.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppimike » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:09 am

gold_finger wrote:
hoppimike wrote:I was very pleased when I discovered it, I can tell you!

Yeah, pretty amazing. The machine I tested it on is one I had to put an older flashplugin on for it to work. It does work pretty well with that, but not even close to how that SMTube player works. Unbelieveable!

Maybe I can return the favor and point you to something pretty cool. I noticed your post elsewhere that you use and like Xfce. I do too -- have it on four computers, old and new systems. I just discovered a relatively new distro (I think they're only a few years old) out of France called Voyager. Let me just say that they have done some pretty unique things with there Xfce-based distro. Very, very impressive! So much so that I've already installed it on my main laptop and an older (2004) laptop, with plans to put it on at least one more computer within the next couple of days. (I frequently check out and test other distros - mainly on VirtualBox -- but I almost never actually install one for regular use unless I'm convinced it's something special.) You should check it out. The website is in French, but there is a Google Translate button on the site if you don't know French. Here it is: [url]http://voyager.legtux.org/[/url]
Hm, interesting!

I must admit though I'm not really a fan of the Mac layout (docks and such) - this is one of the reasons I use Mint :)

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:21 pm

hoppimike wrote:I must admit though I'm not really a fan of the Mac layout (docks and such) - this is one of the reasons I use Mint
I've never used a Mac and am not familiar with there layout.

As far as docks go, other than trying them out here and there, I never really used a dock before either. The one they're using, called Plank, seems to be less annoying than others I've tried and works well. Can ditch the dock with one click if don't want to see it at all and use regular menu.

The dock is not what's special about Voyager. The incredible amount of customizations they have pre-built into it is! All easily accessible and changeable from convenient customized menu system they've built. Probably over 20 different pre-configured Conkys; over 150 desktop backgrounds; ability to choose different backgrounds for each Workspace easily; many pre-configured themes; etc. I've only just begun to explore it all and discover the things they've added to it.

Burn a live DVD/USB and toy around with it a bit. The more I do, the more impressed I get.

hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppimike » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:45 pm

gold_finger wrote:
hoppimike wrote:I must admit though I'm not really a fan of the Mac layout (docks and such) - this is one of the reasons I use Mint
I've never used a Mac and am not familiar with there layout.

As far as docks go, other than trying them out here and there, I never really used a dock before either. The one they're using, called Plank, seems to be less annoying than others I've tried and works well. Can ditch the dock with one click if don't want to see it at all and use regular menu.

The dock is not what's special about Voyager. The incredible amount of customizations they have pre-built into it is! All easily accessible and changeable from convenient customized menu system they've built. Probably over 20 different pre-configured Conkys; over 150 desktop backgrounds; ability to choose different backgrounds for each Workspace easily; many pre-configured themes; etc. I've only just begun to explore it all and discover the things they've added to it.

Burn a live DVD/USB and toy around with it a bit. The more I do, the more impressed I get.
Cool ok, I'll let you know what I think :)

Thanks for the info about it!

cherubyn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cherubyn » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:56 pm

hoppimike wrote:Not sure if this helps you or not (depends) but I managed to get YouTube to play BEAUTIFULLY on this old laptop with SMPlayer's SMTube.

Literally, nearly always 1080p full screen, it's wonderful! :)

Hope that is of some help, anyway!
Thank you both gold_finger and hoppimike. Now I can play youtube videoś, thanks to installing an older version of flashplayer. And even better with SMTube. You guys are great!
I really am new to Linux, just installed Mint on an old computer some weeks ago, but you make me feel an expert already :D

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:44 pm

cherubyn wrote:Now I can play youtube videoś, thanks to installing an older version of flashplayer. And even better with SMTube.
Glad everything worked out well. Keep in mind that using the outdated Adobe flashplugin can introduce more of a security risk because it doesn't have the latest security updates. While the risks are primarily Windows-related, that doesn't mean the risks in Linux are zero. Might be best to de-activate the plugin in the browser until you actually want to use it.

Realmwatcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Realmwatcher » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:05 am

Adobe Flash Player Plugin Solved!

I am a linux mint newbie :wink: using linux mint 16 Petra with Mate desktop. Try to figure out how install from cd without grub error took me a couple of days. Now that I figured that out and linux installed, I ran it and discovered the flashplayer didint work and then spent another whole day and a half figuring out the flash plugin....

I did it! I made it work!! :shock: Here is how I did it...

This should work on all Linux Mint versions that it is not currently working on. If it does not work, then try again with different versions of flash player in the adobe flash player archives here ... http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/ ... sions.html I suspect that the latest update for linux has some bugs and such making it impossible to use.

I did it! I made it work!! Here is how I did it...

Step 1: Download earlier version from adobe archive. Here is direct download link to the version i used http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flas ... rchive.zip" Version 11,2,202,327 is slightly older than the latest version, which is 11,2,202,335 that we obviously know is not working with Mozilla and other browsers. Locate the libflashplayer.so file in the archive program then extract the archive file that it is in to documents folder or to the downloads folder this will make the following steps easier to do. Locate libflashplayer.so after you extract the archive, if you extracted to documents or downloads it will be there.

Step 2: We are going to downgrade the plugin slightly so Go to this site http://www.wikihow.com/Upgrade-Adobe-Fl ... b_Browsers and follow instructions for Method 3.

Here is how i did it in Linux Mint 16 Petra (mate), you may find this easier to do ...

1. open terminal then type this command

person@person-desktop ~ $

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

this will change to the mozilla plugins directory.

2. Type the following command. You will have to enter your password when it promts you and you are not going to actually see your password on the screen when you do. Just hit enter after you type it.

person@person-desktop /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins $ sudo -s rm -rf libflashplayer.so

person@person-desktop /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins $

this removes the flash player plugin from mozilla.

3. Locate your libflashplayer.so file and then switch to the directory its located in...

person@person-desktop ~ $
cd Downloads

person@person-desktop ~/Downloads $

4. Type in the following command

kendra@kendra-desktop ~/Downloads $ sudo -s cp -r libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

This will put the new libflashplayer.so you extracted earlier into the mozilla plugins folder. Now your plugin should work.

NOTE: If you check to see if your plugins are up to date it will say the flashplayer is out of date. Just ignore that.

When you go to a page that requires flash like youtube, click on a video or bring one up you want to play and when it comes up click on activate flash player... usually its in the video screen. A litle popup box will come up at the corner of your browser click on allow and remember and that will activate it (you will have to do this for all websites that require flash) and you will be able to use it on the website you activated it on all the time. There is also an option to activate it for the page just for the time you are using it. Just click on "Allow Now" I know its a pain in the butt :x :evil: , but hey at least it works, and its better than nothing. :D Hope it works for everyone.

slacka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slacka » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:22 am

These instructions will only work for Firefox. If you want get flash 11.1 working with all your browsers, like Chromium, you need to leave flash installed, and just replace it with an older version.

After downloading and extracting flash 11.1,

sudo cp libflashplayer.so  /opt/mint-flashplugin-11/

Return to “Software & Applications”