Nightingale Installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobstead

Nightingale Installation

Post by bobstead »

I'm new to Mint, and have just installed Nightingale, but it won't run (although no error messages). Tried Songbird, it loaded but failed duer to missing acc codecs. Tried loading a bunch of codecs but still get same error messages. Any advice re getting Nightingale to launch?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Nightingale Installation

Post by xenopeek »

From where have you installed it?
bobstead

Post by bobstead »

xenopeek wrote:From where have you installed it?
Hi. I got ppa:nightingaleteam/nightingale-release from getnightinmgale.com & added this to software manager & packsage now appears in software manager & in synaptic. Ran installer, which has added all of the repository sources etc but I've obviously failed to understand & do some core part odf this process correctly.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

When you write it didn't give any error messages, did you run it from the terminal? If not, you should. Error messages about it not being able to start will only show on the terminal.

Perhaps there is a clue there, though looking at the topic http://forum.getnightingale.com/thread-661.html it doesn't look promising. Basically the Nightingale developers say they don't support Ubuntu based distros. You may try using the nightly PPA, for a somewhat newer version that perhaps fixes something: https://launchpad.net/~nightingaleteam/ ... le-nightly. I'd recommend you first try running it from the terminal though, and see if you get any errors that way.
bobstead

Post by bobstead »

Thanks I'll try that & se where I get.
bobstead

Post by bobstead »

Nightingale errors.png
bobstead wrote:Thanks I'll try that & se where I get.
Well, being a newbie, I'm not sure if I did this right or not, but I certaily don't understand the output!!

bob@bob-Aspire-One-753 /usr/share $ nightingale

(process:19314): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed
ERROR! Could not call boundObserver.observe(). Key = metadata.title
[Exception... "'[JavaScript Error: "mlyrics.pane.gMM.playbackControl is null" {file: "chrome://mlyrics/content/jscripts/paneWindow.js" line: 676}]' when calling method: [sbIRemoteObserver::observe]" nsresult: "0x80570021 (NS_ERROR_XPC_JAVASCRIPT_ERROR_WITH_DETAILS)" location: "JS frame :: file:///usr/share/nightingale/components/sbDataRemote.js :: anonymous :: line 369" data: yes]

(nightingale-bin:19314): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'com.canonical.indicator.sound' is not installed

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
bob@bob-Aspire-One-753 /usr/share $
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Then time to try the other PPA I think. See here the same error: https://github.com/nightingale-media-pl ... issues/184. Seems to indicate the fix is in nightingale-nightly PPA. I hope that fixes it, though I'm not happy with you getting an error for Unity while you aren't using that. So I hope the other PPA works without you needing to use Unity.

Add the other PPA like you did the first. Then open Update Manager, and if needed press the Refresh button, and an upgrade for Nightingale should be available from the new PPA.
bobstead

Post by bobstead »

xenopeek wrote:Then time to try the other PPA I think. See here the same error: https://github.com/nightingale-media-pl ... issues/184. Seems to indicate the fix is in nightingale-nightly PPA. I hope that fixes it, though I'm not happy with you getting an error for Unity while you aren't using that. So I hope the other PPA works without you needing to use Unity.

Add the other PPA like you did the first. Then open Update Manager, and if needed press the Refresh button, and an upgrade for Nightingale should be available from the new PPA.
Thanks a lot. Using the nightly build worked wonders, it prompted an upgrade & al's now working fine. Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”