[solved] uPnP - which application and, erm, what the hell...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fugazi
Level 2
Level 2

[solved] uPnP - which application and, erm, what the hell...

Post by Fugazi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:36 am

I've just ordered (cheap from ebay) an Archos 48. It can stream through uPnP (according to manual. I usually just use my smb network to copy files to devices, but uPnP streaming sounds fun (if only I had a clue how to do it). All video files are in a single shared folder with a folder tree below it. The Archos 48 manual says it's easy with Windows Media Player, but running Mate 15 means I don't have to deal with that junk.

What program should I install? Try to make it a GUI program as I'm inept.

How do I make the Archos get streamed media from it? Try to keep it descriptive as, as mentioned, I'm inept; I do learn though.

Thanks for any advice.

Matt.
Last edited by Fugazi on Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elverion
Level 2
Level 2

Re: uPnP - which application and, erm, what the hell...

Post by elverion » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:04 pm

uPnP isn't for streaming; it is just a protocol used to communicate to the router that a specific device is requesting that connections to a specific port (or set of ports) should be forwarded. Basically, it just lets you avoid having to do port forwarding.

If you have Samba set up to share files, you should be able to use any kind of media player to stream them directly from that. Try using VLC player.

Fugazi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fugazi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:10 pm

So it's just for people who can't set up a samba network? Knickers to that then. VLC unlikely to work as it's Android 1.6 (I think that version was Android Pre-Chewed Chewing Gum).

elverion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elverion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:45 pm

uPnP shouldn't have anything to do with your (in-)ability to setup a Samba network. It just makes servers in your network able to be connected to directly without the extra work of port forwarding.

If you've got a Samba (or Windows) network set up and sharing files, you should be able to connect to it with your Android device and access the media files. Opening any of those files with just about any media player should cause it to start streaming. If you can explain to us exactly what you're trying to do and at what part it is failing, we can probably provide more specific help.

Fugazi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fugazi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Not really an issue:

I have a stable, jolly useful samba network in the house.

I have ordered (but not yet received) an Archos 48. The A48 instruction manual says it needs uPnP.

As the A48 says it needs it, I thought its media player couldn't stream from the network without it. If the player on it can link to my samba network I don't need to set up uPnP, if it's a sucky media player I'll be back to chat about which uPnP program is best.

Thanks again (no need for more help yet as I presume the media player will handle samba streaming).

Matthew.

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:35 pm

What does erm mean?

elverion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elverion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:04 pm

I see. Well, uPnP is a protocol, not a software. It is up to your router to support it which most, if not all, modern routers will. I'm sure everything will work just fine when you get it.

What kind of router do you have?

Fugazi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fugazi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Zytel (I think) router that does everything. It will support it as it supports everything. Program I thought I'd require was to set up the uPnP and grant easy access. I set up everything using GUI programs as it is generally easier. My samba network should sort it.

Matt.

Fugazi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fugazi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Use MediaTomb - solved!

Return to “Software & Applications”