Can I Point my Mint or Ubuntu to Debain Repo

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Incentive I.C

Can I Point my Mint or Ubuntu to Debain Repo

Post by Incentive I.C »

Just wondering if Ubuntu or Mint can be pointed to Debian 7 Wheezy or Jessie Repos and Safely download the packages. Ubuntu is based off of Debian so maybe Ubuntu can do it and Mint cannot?Mint is backwards compatible with Ubuntu right atleast when it comes to applications? Any application on Ubuntu can be installed on Mint right? But can they install applcations from Debian?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Can I Point my Mint or Ubuntu to Debain Repo

Post by passerby »

You can, but depending on what you're after you should expect breaks. If it's an application, it will probably be okay. If said application requires the pulling of various system libraries, then perhaps not.
If you want a Wheezy/Jessie system, it's best to just install LMDE directly.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, Mint is based on Ubuntu. If it works on Debian it will work on Ubuntu. If it works on Ubuntu it will work on Mint.
The thing is, each of those three may have conflicting package versions. A package from Wheezy may require a lesser version of a specific system library, which in turn may break something on Mint.
If you're just mucking around with a virtual machine or a test installation, then go ahead, but if this is your work computer I would advise against pulling packages from Debian directly.
nomko

Re: Can I Point my Mint or Ubuntu to Debain Repo

Post by nomko »

All Mint versions, except LMDE, can use Ubuntu repo's. Don't use Debian repo's for Mint Mate/Cinnamon/Xfce/KDE!
Keep in kind that, when you make changes to the source list, that the first line must stay!

Only LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) uses Debian reop's.

Return to “Software & Applications”