Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sloan
Level 2
Level 2

No Netflix Desktop

Post by sloan »

I cannot get netflix desktop to work under Mint 15 KDE. (Works fine in Mint 15 Cinnamon)
Is anyone out there able to successfully use this?

Booting Windows just to watch netflix is a PITA...so really hoping for a solution.
This is my Linux distro. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: No Netflix Desktop

Post by proxima_centauri »

What steps did you follow and what was the result?

Please provide more information :wink:
sloan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sloan »

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

It starts up and I can select a movie. But I get audio and no video.
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adelante »

This might work for you.

[url]http://forums.netrunner-os.com/showthread.php?tid=1083&page=2[/url]
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce
sloan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sloan »

I just tried that out. With compositing disabled, netflix gives error telling me I have to enable compositing.
With it enabled I have the problem of sound and no video with silverlight crashing.

I should add that it initially worked fine in Mint 15 KDE RC until a bunch of updates came through and that's when netflix no longer worked.
I've tried multiple reinstalles with the same results.
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adelante »

I'm sorry to hear that. It was the only thing I tried that worked for that particular problem in KDE. I must have gotten lucky. Maybe someone here will have better advice. Good luck.
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

Hi Guys got same problem here with mint 17 have no audio and a black screen ,nothing i do seem to work but yet got it working in LMDE and work fantastic on Pinguy OS 14.04 and Xubuntu 14.04 too and Robolinux 7.4 am out of idea here try all what you said and this=

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 1F691896
sudo apt-add-repository "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu oneiric main"
sudo apt-add-repository "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ehoover/compholio/ubuntu oneiric main"
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop libwine-gecko-1.4 mono-complete
sudo sh -c "echo ttf-mscorefonts-installer msttcorefonts/accepted-mscorefonts-eula select true | debconf-set-selections"
sudo netflix-desktop
and when i use this too help some time to fix netflix= rm -Rf ~/.netflix-desktop and if yuo want to remove every thing from netflix= sudo apt-get purge netflix-desktop
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo rm -rf ~/.wine-browser
sudo rm -rf ~/.netflix-desktop
scryan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scryan »

Nascar64, I believe that is due to needing 32 bit support. Try installing ia32-libs ( sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ) and see if it doesn't work.

I *think* that is what it took to get it running on linux mint 17 w/KDE (installed KDE then uninstalled mate/gnome) for me.
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

scryan Thank you ,Thank you that's what i needed never needed 'ia32-libs' in ubuntu derive before use that for Debian installation but its.working so a big Thank's you and am so glad it work because i just install linux 17 ,mint been one of my favorites linux and LMDE too and want to kept both of them ,i just love the cinnamon DE .Ray
scryan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scryan »

nascar64 wrote:scryan Thank you ,Thank you that's what i needed never needed 'ia32-libs' in ubuntu derive before use that for Debian installation but its.working so a big Thank's you and am so glad it work because i just install linux 17 ,mint been one of my favorites linux and LMDE too and want to kept both of them ,i just love the cinnamon DE .Ray
Good! Its interesting that it was needed, Clem stated in the "How to install 32-bit software on Linux Mint 16 RC 64-bit" thread ( http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=150730 ) that it would be included in 17 to make it easier on everyone. Curious as to why it doesn't seem to be there in the RC and if anyone has pointed it out yet... I figured in my case it was removed with one of the mate/gnome package groups I removed as I was messing with a fresh install I wasn't worried about messing up and was pretty slash and burn with regards to removing mate/gnome stuff... But If you had the issue too...

Cinnamon is very nice mix of simple, classic and functional. I've been using KDE on a media center PC, and have gotten used to it enough to throw it on the laptop too... But man is it overly complex and incredibly hard to do anything as compared with cinnamon.

Keep in mind if you would like to just watch netflix in your browser, rather then just with netflix desktop you can, netflix desktop sets it all up for you.
Just make sure that you use firefox (I don't think pipelight's silverlight implementation supports the way chrome does plugins, they use a less standard/common format), and install a user agent switcher so that the netflix servers read you as being on a windows box. Netflix desktop basically just installs pipelight, enables silverlight then launches firefox with a user agent switcher.