USB drives are RO in Caja (and ONLY in Caja)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
alx_0x41
Level 1
Level 1

USB drives are RO in Caja (and ONLY in Caja)

Post by alx_0x41 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:53 am

Came over a strange problem in Mint 15 MATE:

When I connect any external storage devices (flash drives, USB HDD, card readers), they are mounted as read-write and I can do anything with them in terminal ... but not with Caja!

In Caja when I try to create any new files or copy them I get the "destination is read-only" error message.
At the same time I can delete files from the same folders using Caja.

Any ideas how to fix that?

fpeelo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB drives are RO in Caja (and ONLY in Caja)

Post by fpeelo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:54 pm

I am seeing exactly the same thing here. Have to use the terminal to copy anything to my mp3 player, or my usb key.
I did find one situation where Caja became able to write to the drive, but I don't know how to turn that into a proper fix.

When googling for a solution, I did see posts like
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1992826
which looks like exactly the same thing, but with Nautilus. So fwiw I don't think it's Caja.

Now, I currently have 2 USB drives connected to my PC. Here's what they look like when I give the mount command:
/dev/sdc1 on /media/user/Disk1.5TB type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdd1 on /media/user/8884-6946 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks2)

The vfat drive (usb key) DOES have this problem. The ext3 drive (1.5TB hard drive) DOES NOT.

Now, one thing I noticed was that ls -alh showed a reasonable date (today) for /media/user/Disk1.5TB, but /media/user/8884-6946 was 1 Jan 1970. Trying to create a directory in Caja, failed. But after I saved a file to the USB key from Firefox, the date of /media/user/8884-6946 was today and Caja was able to create a directory on the USB, copy on a file, delete the directory.

Now, I know that vfat cannot handle 1970. Think the earliest date it supports is 1980. Could that be part of it, I wonder? But if so, why does cp work?

fpeelo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB drives are RO in Caja (and ONLY in Caja)[FIXED-sort

Post by fpeelo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:14 am

For the record, this problem seems to have gone away.

What happened was, after saving a file to the drive from Firefox (or maybe Thunderbird - I tried both, don't know which did the job) I was able to save from Caja. The problem has not come back for me.

The date on the mount was reasonable. I know that the FAT filesystem does not support dates before about 1980. So that might be the reason there was a problem. Or it might be coincidence.

So - sort of fixed, in that Caja is now working with the USB drive and I think I know how it got that way - save a file there from Thunderbird and/or Firefox. But only sort-of because I don't know what caused the problem in the first place and since it hasn't happened again I can't test it to see if this workaround is reliable.

Frank

Return to “Software & Applications”