Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Why is Firefox so Slow on Mint 15?

Post by Incentive I.C »

Hi guys! I am using Mint 15 and like it! Well I was always wondering why Firefox lags and is so Jerky when scrolling? I have Midori and it scrolls very smoothly expecally when a Page is done loading..

Anyone have the problem,too? and if so could some give a solution?
The best way to learn from it is break it OS's (is there a plural for OS?) included.
uzername
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Why is Firefox so Slow on Mint 15?

Post by uzername »

Do you have smooth scrolling selected?
Linux counter #317716
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

uzername wrote:Do you have smooth scrolling selected?
Thanks but it is Enabled :(
The best way to learn from it is break it OS's (is there a plural for OS?) included.
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

Maybe its the Kernel I am running. Should I update to Kernel 3.10? I have another Os on and its so smooth running Kernel 3.10. Maybe 3.8 is just buggy?
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

can you just check htop to see if some other program is running with high cpu usage?

3.8-0-19 default kernel is 'bad' for several of my hardware. so I do not use it in any distros.
mint15 gave lots of issues for 6 hardware I tested.

anyway, no harm to upgrade to its latest 3.8-0-27 or use new kernel like 3.10.x
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

Thanks Wayne but accoding to the System Monitor I am using about 10% on both cores with firefox,the system monitor and dropbox using some. I will update to Kernel 3.8-0-27 from the update manager first and see what happens. I will have to give the new Kernel time,though. I am using kernel 3.8.0.25.43 not the one you mention though
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

tried updating to Kernel 3.8 in the update manager still lags. updated to 3.10 via PPA and still it lags! What am a missing here? :(
elverion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elverion »

Can you better define it being "jerky"? Does it instantly snap down x lines, or does it render a few (say, 5) frames which are not at all animated smoothly? How are you scrolling -- arrow keys, pageup/down, or mouse wheel? Do you have a proper video card, or is it integrated? Is hardware acceleration enabled?

My guess is that you either need to adjust some values in about:config of Firefox or need to install different video drivers.

What values do you have for:
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS
mousewheel.acceleration.factor
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

elverion wrote:Can you better define it being "jerky"? Does it instantly snap down x lines, or does it render a few (say, 5) frames which are not at all animated smoothly? How are you scrolling -- arrow keys, pageup/down, or mouse wheel? Do you have a proper video card, or is it integrated? Is hardware acceleration enabled?

My guess is that you either need to adjust some values in about:config of Firefox or need to install different video drivers.

What values do you have for:
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS
mousewheel.acceleration.factor
I will try to better define it. I am scrolling down with the keyboard or touchpad or mouse and it pauses moves very slow then speeds up again then a few miliseconds later slows down again and repeats intill I get to the end of the page.. The scrolling anmiation in not smooth with the entire page . and I am definitly thinking it is a graphic driver problem as it seems Midori does it,too after using it for a while. I have integrated card. My graphics are gotten from the CPU. I guess you are refering to the graphics card. Please try to bare with me as I am new to this! also it seems to lag alittle less when scrolling with the mouse. Thanks for the help guys!

general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel;true
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS;400
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS;200
mousewheel.acceleration.factor;10
elverion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elverion »

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled? You'll find it under the 'Advanced' section of the options window for Firefox.

If it's on, I'm not sure what you can do to improve your rendering speed. You might be able to get by with different drivers but I can't help you there.
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Post by passerby »

Medwin wrote:I really sorry to say that I am not agree with you people.
According to my personal view the Firefox is best browser for internet suffering.
I have used the all browser and I found it better than all the other browsers that's why I'll suggest to use firefox. I hope You'll enjoy to use this one.
Calm down, fanboy. Nobody here is saying that firefox itself is slow.
Incentive I.C simply has a problem with it on his installation. He wouldn't keep trying to get it working if he disliked it, would he?

Firefox is pretty slow for me too. Disabling ABP makes a noticeable difference, but even then it's painful.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
Ginsu543
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ginsu543 »

Incentive I.C wrote:Hi guys! I am using Mint 15 and like it! Well I was always wondering why Firefox lags and is so Jerky when scrolling? I have Midori and it scrolls very smoothly expecally when a Page is done loading..

Which version of Mint 15 are you using, Cinnamon or MATE? I may have a solution if you're using Cinnamon.
Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 12 GB Mushkin Redline PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 / OS X 10.7.3
Portables: Toshiba Portege R200 | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 32 / Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

elverion wrote:Do you have hardware acceleration enabled? You'll find it under the 'Advanced' section of the options window for Firefox.

If it's on, I'm not sure what you can do to improve your rendering speed. You might be able to get by with different drivers but I can't help you there.
yea I have it on. it seems different web pages have different lag. IDK about drivers though it seems to just be the Internet browsers for the most part. What version of Mint or you using?
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

passerby wrote:
Medwin wrote:I really sorry to say that I am not agree with you people.
According to my personal view the Firefox is best browser for internet suffering.
I have used the all browser and I found it better than all the other browsers that's why I'll suggest to use firefox. I hope You'll enjoy to use this one.
Calm down, fanboy. Nobody here is saying that firefox itself is slow.
Incentive I.C simply has a problem with it on his installation. He wouldn't keep trying to get it working if he disliked it, would he?

Firefox is pretty slow for me too. Disabling ABP makes a noticeable difference, but even then it's painful.
Yeah I really do like Firefox especially when it works lol. If it slow for you too it could be the Package Mint gives of Firefox is just slow.
Is is butter smooth on other Os's not sure whats going on with Mint :(

By the way what is ABP. Adblockplus??
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

Ginsu543 wrote:
Incentive I.C wrote:Hi guys! I am using Mint 15 and like it! Well I was always wondering why Firefox lags and is so Jerky when scrolling? I have Midori and it scrolls very smoothly expecally when a Page is done loading..

Which version of Mint 15 are you using, Cinnamon or MATE? I may have a solution if you're using Cinnamon.
Nope I use XFCE. I could install Cinnamon on this laptop,though.
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbanavara »

yes, ABP is ad block plus

you can check if the firefox works without the addons, by starting it in safe mode (you can run the following command from terminal):

firefox -safe-mode

if the scrolling works fine, then one the add ons has an issue. You may try resetting your firefox with Help -> Troubleshooting information -> Reset Firefox

You can also try creating a new profile, by starting firefox profile manager and creating new profile with:

firefox -P
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

rbanavara wrote:yes, ABP is ad block plus

you can check if the firefox works without the addons, by starting it in safe mode (you can run the following command from terminal):

firefox -safe-mode

if the scrolling works fine, then one the add ons has an issue. You may try resetting your firefox with Help -> Troubleshooting information -> Reset Firefox

You can also try creating a new profile, by starting firefox profile manager and creating new profile with:

firefox -P
I will try that thanks I get this error though not sure what its all about but safe mode Firefox still starts. Kind of disappointing that it only disables extensions and not plugins,too.... Is it possible the Ice tea web plugin is the problem as I see it deals with Java which has a history of being slow...
(process:5229): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed

I will need more time to test this and see if the lag is still there. I have tried it briefly though it it seems to be Better but still not as smooth as it should be on this machine
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

Well I reset Firefox and it seems about the same although a little faster I dont understand how to create the profile you were talking about Firefox-P simple opens firefox up. Is there a way to get to get the old firefox data back I wanted to see what extensions I had that could have been causing this slowdown. I have a folder called Old Firefox data if that helps. Thanks.
Incentive I.C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Incentive I.C »

Sigh! never mind page rendering still is slow and laggy Midori,too :cry: :cry:
gollum17
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Re: Why is Firefox so Slow on Mint 15?

Post by gollum17 »

Incentive I.C wrote:Sigh! never mind page rendering still is slow and laggy Midori,too :cry: :cry:
Try chrome, it doesn't lag for me on mint 15 KDE.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Current Setup
============================
MSI Neo V-2 MB || LGA 775 Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2Ghz oced to 3.5ghz || BFG Nvidia 6200 256Mb || Dell 80GB IDE HDD || 2GB Dual Channel Memory || Creative SB Live! Sound Card || Logitech 450 Watt PSU ||

Return to “Software & Applications”