Quicktime Falcon Cam Problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RichLobo

Quicktime Falcon Cam Problem

Post by RichLobo »

OK, here is my problem, my wife and I follow the Pacific Gas and Electric falcon cam in San Francisco, among others. The camera can be seen at http://www2.ucsc.edu/scpbrg/nestcamSF.htm.

This camera is using Quicktime to play streaming live video from the following url rtsp://nts-prod-bird-mirror-1.ucsc.edu/birdback.sdp.

In previous versions of LinuxMint (13 and LMDE) I had no problem getting this link to work in Firefox or Google Chrome. No problems. I just did a clean install of LinuxMint 15 KDE and the Quicktime Plug-in 7.6.9 (in Firefox) just sits there. It seems to try to load, then nothing. I've tried installing the "restricted codecs" but still nothing! Also, I get the same result in VLC media player. Tries to load and then stops.

UPDATE
Quicktime movie trailers play just fine except for a very annoying delay while the whole video is cashed.

I just completed some tests which I probably should have done before actually installing Olivia.

Using LiveCD versions of LinuxMint 13 and LMDE I find that both run all multi-media, including Quicktime steaming video and movie trailers very well "out-of-the-box". Videos started up with no hesitation and the quality was excellent.

Using LiveCD version of LinuxMint 15 (KDE) the RTSP://...sdp streaming video would not run at all and the movie trailers still run with the mentioned cashing pause.

My conclusion is that the problem is with the source distro and not with any tinkering that I did with the installation.

This is very disappointing on two grounds. First I really like the KDE format and would like to keep it. Second, LinuxMint has been note worthy for it's "out-of-the-box" readiness to run the most popular multimedia formats. FYI, I've tried everything but cannot get OpenSUSE to run Quictime either.

I understand there are probably not very many bird watchers in this group but many colleges and universities use these formats for streaming lectures, etc.! Is the any hope of getting the Mint project to fix this in the near future? I can wait for a while, but if it is hopeless I will have to fall back to a working version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RichLobo

Re: Quicktime Falcon Cam Problem [SOLVED]

Post by RichLobo »

LinuxMint13 KDE had the same problem, the solution is to install Totem-Mozilla, restart the browser and let it search for and find a few extra codecs.

However, this creates another problem, Apple movie trailers will no longer play. This is not a major problem for me but I'm not sure if it also means other problems.

Return to “Software & Applications”