Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

mintupdate.py in KDE - make it manual? [Solved]

Post by tpprynn »

I'm using 64 bit Mint 15 KDE and would like to stop the Mint Update program from starting. I see you can change settings concerning how frequently it looks for updates, though I'm not sure this actually works judging by the visual feedback on the panel - it still seems to run at every boot.

mintupdate.py doesn't seem to be in the services that can be switched off, so I do I switch it off? I'd rather just do sudo apt-get update weekly or when convenient.

Thanks.
Last edited by tpprynn on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: mintupdate.py in KDE - make it manual?

Post by xenopeek »

Not sure why you can't change this through System Settings; perhaps because these aren't KDE applications? You can manually change it though. From the autostart [url=http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html]specification[/url] you would add the line:

Code: Select all

Hidden=true
or

NotShowIn=KDE
You can either edit the file /etc/xdg/autostart/mintupdate.desktop and add the line you want there, or (better) you first copy that file to your home folder as so:

cp /etc/xdg/autostart/mintupdate.desktop ~/.kde/share/autostart
And then you edit the file ~/.kde/share/autostart/mintupdate.desktop. Why is this better? The /etc/xdg/autostart/mintupdate.desktop will get overwritten when there is an upgrade for the package mintupdate, and if you copy a .desktop file from /etc/xdg/autostart to ~/.kde/share/autostart--the latter one takes precedence for these settings.

I'm not sure what works best; Hidden=true or NotShowIn=KDE. So pick :wink:

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: mintupdate.py in KDE - make it manual?

Post by tpprynn »

That worked, thanks. I did not at first understand as I didn't know what you meant by specification. I used

NotShowIn=KDE

added to

/etc/xdg/autostart/mintupdate.desktop

which I intend to copy to /home/[username]/.kde/share/autostart soon.

I did at first try to just delete mintupdate.desktop from that folder as that works in LXDE but it just stopped the computer from starting properly, it froze at a cursor. (I then copied the missing file back from the live DVD.)

Return to “Software & Applications”