Lightscribe Solutions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
surferbob644

Lightscribe Solutions

Post by surferbob644 »

Okay, first off I'm running Linux Mint KDE 64 bit which is about the fourth or fifth distro I've put on my Compaq 515 lappy. I like this distro very much, and have scraped the partition thing with a Windows dual boot. A number of questions to follow:

I'm trying to get Lightscribe Labeler to run in VirtualBox (VB) with WinXP Pro SP3 as guest OS. Software installs, runs, goes to burn, I can even hear drive being engaged, then Lightscribe dialogue pops up saying error 4224 needing to restart/re-install software because of communications error. Yes, Pass Through is checked in VB settings. Does VB allow writing to drive or not?

Alternative is the Simple Labeler and Lacie's 4L labeler (which I've done before) available for Linux but I like the full labeler available from Lightscribe. Is anyone aware of someone 'packaging' the Lightscribe Labeler for Linux?

Or maybe possibly running Lighscribe Labeler with PlayonLinux/Wine? I haven't found anything on that and not sure PlayonLinux connects to drives and such.

Thought about putting Windows 7 on VB but that would take up too much of the SSD I just put on this machine and I still wouldn't know if VB writes/commands to disc drive.

Appreciate any or all questions being addressed as I've run out of search results here and elsewhere. If I'm resigned to just using the Simple Labeler and Lacie 4L Labeler then I'll go with it and end being stymied by trying to find a solution. Thanks in advanced to the Linux Guru who has answers for me! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
surferbob644

Re: Lightscribe Solutions

Post by surferbob644 »

I got a new problem. Installed the Lightscribe System Software and Simple Labeler which work fine. The LaCie 4L labeler software doesn't recognize the LightScribe drive. This happens whether I simply install the software or force install architecture of the 32 bit software on my 64 bit distro. And I install the 32 bit dependancy package. Under just installing the software and when going to burn a disc there simply isn't a drive listed and on the terminal it reads: Using /etc/lightscribe.rc. Any ideas of what to do will be appreciated. Seriously...

Return to “Software & Applications”