Android: Install Apps From A PC Via Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tinker123
Level 2
Level 2

Android: Install Apps From A PC Via Mint?

Postby tinker123 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm using the latest Mint with Cinnamon and a motorola citrus runnign Android.

I would like to install new apps on the smart phone, but I don't want to use up my limited data. Is there software I can install on Mint that will let me browse the Google App Store from Mint/my PC and then install it from my PC?

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Zalbor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 pm

I think the android SDK can do the job. You'll have to edit a udev file to make your device recognisable, browse the google play store from a web browser and then install the apk file using adb (that's part of the SDK).
Of course if you have a WiFi network you can just connect your phone to it and it won't use data, but I assume you don't.

tinker123
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Android: Install Apps From A PC Via Mint?

Postby tinker123 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 am

I didn't understand one word of your post :).

I'm new to smart phones and Androids.

Could you post me a link to a place that will explain what you did, but explain it to me like I am a total newb?

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Android: Install Apps From A PC Via Mint?

Postby Zalbor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:05 am

The first part is, that if you want to install apps on your phone without using "data" (by which I presume you mean using the internet through your mobile network -please clarify if this isn't the case) then the simplest thing to do is use a WiFi network. In fact this is the suggested method, as doing it through a PC may be too complicated. If you have a WiFi network, stop reading here and simply connect your phone to it.

If doing it through a PC is the only way for you, first you need to find the app you want to install. Google Play Store is the same place you'd browse through the phone itself. Earlier I said you could just download the package from there, but I was wrong. I'm not sure what the best way to do it is but I found this page.

Once you have the file, you need to get it to your phone. That can be done using ADB, which is part of the Android SDK (used by developers). You can get the SDK here (it should also describe how to install it) and this page describes how to configure your phone to accept packages from a PC and how to use ADB to install one.

Finally, I'm not sure if your PC will detect your phone to begin with. If it doesn't, try the instructions here (specifically, step number 3 for "Ubuntu Linux") to make it detectable. If your phone isn't HTC, use the table on the same page to find the right code to replace the example with.

Return to “Software & Applications”