Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
PussyCat
Level 4
Level 4

Update Flash for FF and Opera

Postby PussyCat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:14 am

I'm trying to bring a fresh install of Helena as up-to-date as possible (seehttp://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=147266&p=773488#p773488 if anyone is tempted to ask why!).

Mostly, the execise has been remarkably successful. However, although Opera 12.16 picked up the currently installed Flash (from Mint-Flashplugin?) which is at version 10.0.32. FF24 was installed from tar.gz (repo stuck at 3.6.53) and after unpacking has been moved to /opt and then modified the menu entry to point at /opt/firefox/firefox and this works fine (although might have preferred to integrate using symbolic links but couldn't figure it out) - except no Flash plugin.

Also mint-flashplugin seems stuck at 10.0.32 in Synaptic although the repos have been "upgraded" to old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic. Thus downloaded Flash tar.gz which has been unpacked in my dowloads folder where it creates folder /usr and libflashplayer.so and subfolders /bin /lib /bin64 and /share. Now what - the provided text file is somewhat garbled (to me!)?

Installing using the plugin tar.gz:
o Unpack the plugin tar.gz and copy the files to the appropriate location.
o Save the plugin tar.gz locally and note the location the file was saved to.
o Launch terminal and change directories to the location the file was saved to.
o Unpack the tar.gz file. Once unpacked you will see the following:
+ libflashplayer.so
+ /usr
o Identify the location of the browser plugins directory, based on your Linux distribution and Firefox version
o Copy libflashplayer.so to the appropriate browser plugins directory. At the prompt type:
+ cp libflashlayer.so <BrowserPluginsLocation>
o Copy the Flash Player Local Settings configurations files to the /usr directory. At the prompt type:
+ sudo cp -r usr/* /usr

Also. as I understand it, this vesion is only for FF but would prefer a more global install (ie including Opera) and, therefore. wondered if there is a way of installing a current mint-flashplugin-x64 for the latest (last) Flash?

As a supplementary question, following the update via ububtu/karmic repos, some of the MINTiness has been lost - in particular the boot and shutdown splashes. There doesn't seem to be a utilty to change these so is there an editable config file?

nomko
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Update Flash for FF and Opera

Postby nomko » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:59 am

First of all, why still using Helena? Support for this Mint version dropped a long time ago. Mint 8 is really outdated right now.

Secondly, there's no update for Flash available any longer for Linux in general. Adobe dropped the development of newer version some time ago but will only bring out security updates. The latest version of Flash available in Mint is not mint-flashplugin but the adobe-flashplugin. The Mint plugin runs a few versions behind the Adobe version.

An alternative for Adobe flash is available: Lightspark. Keep in mind this is still under development and doesn't work as good as the original :wink: .

PussyCat
Level 4
Level 4

Postby PussyCat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Thank you for your reply.

However, I endeavoured to pre-empt your first question with my first paragraph and your second statement with the penultimate paragraph (and roll on html5 so that we can escape the grip of adobe and its' whims)!.

The "miracle" of la(te)st Flash (in both FF and Opera) has been achieved in Mepis 8 and Mandriva 2010 so why not Mint as I doubt dependencies are an issue?

The Lightspark alternaive would be a last resort. In the meantime I would be happy to have Flash (currently installed or the latest already downloaded and unpacked) working in FF24.
Last edited by PussyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Postby administrollaattori » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Basically you can install FlashPlayer the folder you want and make a symbolic link to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder from libflashplayer.so file

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /path/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

PussyCat
Level 4
Level 4

Postby PussyCat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Thanks, that's probably getting closer to what is required (at least for FF). The obvious place for me to move the unpacked Flash would be /opt (which is also where FF24 has been moved to) but it confuses me because the unpacked Flash doesn't create an actual Flash folder, just ~/Downloads//usr and its sub-folders with libflashplayer.so in ~/Downloads so presumably the latter should also be moved to /opt?

It confuses me further because the original Flash and Firefox seem to be spread all over the place with FF having Firefox, Firefox 3.6.17 and Mozilla folders and plugin/addons subfolders scattered around amongst them, none of which have been created by me! Why, when the unpacked FF24 is a simple structure now resinding in /opt?

I assume in your code above path should be substituted for the path to the new libflashplayer.so but doesn't the rest of it link to the original FF and not the new one which doesn't (yet) have a plugins subfolder - or perhaps (certainly!) I just don't understand how it's all stitched together?

Return to “Software & Applications”