Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
iamthewalrus
Level 1
Level 1

Making a photo smaller

Post by iamthewalrus »

Linuc Mint is really great and easy to use compare to Ubuntu but it really, really needs some simple way to reduce photo size for emailing. The standard image viewer is unbelieveably basic like the Windows one. Then on the other hand you have GIMP which is impossibly complex and unintuitive. I just went though for the third time trying to find the instructions on how to reduce the image in bytes for sending by email. I have done it twice before but this time I just can't find that slider that reduces the quality. There are some great add ons for Windows that let you do this reszing (which everyone does loads given the size of digital photos now) without even opening an image editor. Mint could really do with one of these.

nomko

Re: Making a photo smaller

Post by nomko »

What about the nautilus-image-resize plugin => http://www.ubuntugeek.com/nautilus-image-converter-nautilus-extension-to-mass-resize-or-rotate-images.html ?

Or you can install a MS paint like application which works much easier than GIMP. Although it is very possible to resize images in GIMP.

iamthewalrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iamthewalrus »

That's exactly what I needed. But unfortinately it doesn't work for some reason on newer versions of Mint:
http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/nautilus-image-converter

It used to be installed by default:
According to this it is installed by default!:
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/575

So how do you find the image quality scale in GIMP? I look and look, trying 'save as' and 'export' but they both open just the same as the normal 'save' with no extra optons ...
Last edited by iamthewalrus on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

iamthewalrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iamthewalrus »

[deleted]
Last edited by iamthewalrus on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamthewalrus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iamthewalrus »

Finally got it. You just press 'Export' as if you are done and then you get the quality option.

Really terribly thought out and the sort of thing that will put the average computer user off. If you can't reduce your photos to email simply people wil get pissed off and give up. Windows has simple easy to use tools for this ...
Last edited by iamthewalrus on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RichardH »

Try mirage
Much simpler than the Gimp.
It will resize.

Return to “Software & Applications”