Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sydney
Level 3
Level 3

Newbie with "BUG: unable to handle kernel"

Post by Sydney »

Hi everybody. I just bought a brand new Thinkpad T430s and am trying to run Linux Mint DE Olivia Mate on it, but it keeps crashing. (I am new to Linux and so far I am only playing with a "naked" OS). I already tried re-installing MInt but that didn't help. Right before this last crash I plugged an external hard drive into one of the USB-ports. The drive did not start properly, it kept being shut on & off audibly. I unplugged it and connected it to another USB-port, where it ran fine. However, it did not show in "my computer" and before I could unplug it again in order to reconnect, I ended up with a black screen and a long error message (photo below - too long to type out). On the previous occasions, I did not read the actual messages, so I don't know if they were the same. What I'd please need to know is if this is a problem with the USB-port in which case I'd send the notebook straight back for an exchange or if this is an OS problem. I tried looking it up online and it seems like an OS problem ?? On the other hand, I have heard that people use this setup (T430s with Mint DE Olivia) without any problems whatsoever. (Irony: changing over from Win as wanting a more stable & reliable system, and I can't even get it up and running ?).
Thanks very much for your help and I do hope that the photo is readable.
Sydney
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Newbie with "BUG: unable to handle kernel"

Post by xenopeek »

Indeed seems to be related to your USB hub. xhci, IIRC, means USB 3. See your laptop docs, does it have also USB 1.1 / 2.0 ports? Use those instead and it might work fine. Icon should appear on your desktop after mounting.

If this laptop matches up with your specs, it is reported USB 3 should work fine with Linux (3.6 and up, you have 3.8): http://www.linlap.com/lenovo_thinkpad_t430

Might be specific issue with the device you are attaching. Do you have another external hard drive to test that theory with? If it crashes on the same USB port with a different USB device, indeed something may be wrong.

Not much else I can read into the error though, except it reads like a hardware or peripheral device having a bad driver.
Sydney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sydney »

Hi xenopeek, thanks so much+++ for your reply.
This is exactly the kind of info I needed :-)
I went ahead and tried all 3 USB-ports repeatedly, and neither of them works reliably. It seems that one of them causes that on/off problem and the other 2 (one of them always-on) cause the freezes with the above error message.
I tried with different external hard-drives too, like you suggested, with the same result.
I went ahead and phoned the dealer right-away and he said to return the notebook for a replacement. He also mentioned that they won't even check the machine it but pass it right back to Lenovo.
Glad that that's sorted out :-)
The model you referenced is nearly the same, except mine is the slim version. Before I decided to purchase it I read up on any compatibility issues and did not find any problems with USB-ports reported (otherwise I would have refrained from purchasing this model). But then, most people seem to run Ubuntu or non-Debian Mint on it, so I was not sure if my Mint DE did not have anything to do with it (hence my post)....
Hopefully I'll have more luck with the replacement :-)
Sydney
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Generally it is the kernel version that determines what hardware devices or peripherals work well, or not. Unlike on Windows, most device drivers are included in the kernel and loaded dynamically when such a device is detected.

A good place to find laptop vendors that directly support Linux is: http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Return to “Software & Applications”