can I put keepass on a USB jump drive?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

can I put keepass on a USB jump drive?

Post by gatorade »

I would like ot know if it's possible to have keepass on a flashdrive so I can carry it around with me. It would be convenient to have this to have all my paswords with me if I wanted to check my email on a different computer.

I figured it would be good to also have a backup in case of any hardware failures. I was thinking it should be possible to export them to a file and have them on a flashdrive, but I wasn't sure if I would then need keepass installed on the computer I wanted to use. That made me think , if I could have keepass itself on a flashdrive , I could then run it and have the passwords with me at all times.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
WharfRat

Re: can I put keepass on a USB jump drive?

Post by WharfRat »

gatorade,

You can put the keepass database on a flash drive. That's good to keep a backup, but you couldn't just put the app on the flash unless you had linux mint or another linux distro installed and running on it.

If you export the database to a csv file then all the information is visible including the passwords :(

Good luck :wink:
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

ok, thanks.

wait, I just thought of another way. What about putting a linux distro on a USB , to run like a live cd , and have the keepass database on it , would that work?
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

gatorade wrote:wait, I just thought of another way. What about putting a linux distro on a USB , to run like a live cd , and have the keepass database on it , would that work?
Yes, that's what WharfRat already said.
WharfRat wrote:but you couldn't just put the app on the flash unless you had linux mint or another linux distro installed and running on it.
For what you want, make sure you set up the USB to have a persistence file. That way you can install keepass, copy your database from other computer (or make new one), and have those changes stay on the USB for use each time you reboot. Without persistence, you won't be able to save anything for future use.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

ok, my bad.

thanks again. :D
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krustybaguette »

gatorade wrote:I would like ot know if it's possible to have keepass on a flashdrive so I can carry it around with me. It would be convenient to have this to have all my paswords with me if I wanted to check my email on a different computer.
KeePass is available in a portable form that will run on Linux, OSX, BSD, and Windows systems. On Linux, OSX, BSD it requires that mono be installed. I've run it from an SD card in a built in reader on my Mint laptop. I've also done so previously on a G4 Powerbook and a Windows netbook. [url]http://keepass.info/download.html[/url]

krustybaguette
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

hey ,

thanks for the link Krusty. works perfectly, just what I was looking for!
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3

Return to “Software & Applications”