Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jesse_V
Level 1
Level 1

Bookmarks squished in Chrome, unlockable PGP secret key

Post by Jesse_V »

Last night I completed the transition from Mint 14 to Mint 16, and WOW I'm impressed. Very fast/responsive and the attention to detail is obvious, I really like it.

I'm currently working on two issues though:

1) Chrome/Chromium squishes the bookmarks in the bookmark bar together. I've got bookmarks to Reddit and YouTube which now show "Redd..." and "YouT..." respectively, but my bookmark to Launchpad appears as "Launchpad", just fine. I don't understand why one wouldn't have enough space but the other would, or why its squishing so much in the first place. It was looking fine in Mint 14. This appears in both Chromium and Chrome, although Chromium had bookmarks that appeared fine and it was only until I imported my settings/bookmarks from Google that the problem appeared. Switching between GTK+ theme and the classic theme doesn't make a difference other than to change the font and minor positioning adjustments. What changed here? Is there something I can adjust in GTK to fix this? Is there CSS somewhere that I could modify?

2) I'm trying to import my OpenPGP key. I exported my key in various ways and have several forms of the private key, and I backed up my .gnupg folder which holds the keyring. Upon restoring the folder I was concerned to find that I couldn't unlock my private key anymore. The passphrase that I used before can no longer unlock it, and I'm concerned that I lost access to it. I've been poking around in the settings trying to see what changed, and apparently there are a number of different algorithms that secure the public key. Since I copied the .gpupg folder the config should be identical so I don't understand. Anyone have any clues? I really need my PGP key for digital signatures of files, emails, and Linux packages that I upload to Launchpad.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on either of these things I would really appreciate your input. Other than those two issues, Mint 16 has really been fantastic. This really is a brilliant operating system. I feel sorry for all the poor souls on Winderp 8... :D
Folding@home article on Wikipedia, a Featured Article
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

Jesse_V
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bookmarks squished in Chrome, unlockable PGP secret key

Post by Jesse_V »

Anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get these resolved, especially the PGP one. I'm willing to jump through hoops, I just don't know what to do.
Folding@home article on Wikipedia, a Featured Article
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

Return to “Software & Applications”