[SOLVED]Does VLC Play DVDs OotB (Mint 14 XFCE)?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

[SOLVED]Does VLC Play DVDs OotB (Mint 14 XFCE)?

Post by MtnDewManiac » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:12 pm

The subject line pretty much covers it. Friend of mine has a laptop with Mint 14 XFCE 64-bit. He's many miles from a paved road (works out of town, stays at a campground about 30 minutes from the job site) so no Internet. He just spent about ½-hour on the phone with me trying to figure out how to play a DVD. He managed to get "Movie Player" (I believe it's Totem, but am not positive) to display the DVD's menu (I think). But was unable to play the actual movie. I managed to talk him through opening the disc via Movie Player's Open menu so he could try to play one of the "Video_TS" files. Explained that the largest one(s?) was (/were) probably the movie. At one point, he managed to get audio and a "scrambled" picture. Apparently.

I seem to remember reading that Mint came with codecs preinstalled. If that is the case, then I'd guess that the problem is with Movie Player. He works a minimum of 12 hours/day (generally longer) and is a couple hours from here... but is at the point where he's going to drive back here tomorrow so I can straighten things out.

If I install VLC, will it play regular commercial DVDs "out of the box" on Mint? If not, what should I install instead? I won't have much time for trial & error; he thinks he'll have to work 14 hours, so if he gets off work, immediately jumps in his truck, drives straight here, does nothing but pull in, wave, and drive back, that will only leave him with ~six hours at best to clean up, eat, sleep, get up, eat, and start work. (Lol / :roll: ) And I do not currently have a computer with a working DVD drive (it barely works at all, sometimes, other times it is real bad), so I cannot figure it out ahead of time.

I think, if it'll work for that, that he could operate VLC okay. I had intended to install it on his computer to begin with but must have forgotten.

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Regards,
MDM
Last edited by MtnDewManiac on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Picasso1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Does VLC Play DVDs OotB (Mint 14 XFCE)?

Post by Picasso1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:11 am

MintDrewManiac ....
Your post should be resumed to one line, the title. Yes VLC plays DVD out of the box and is installed by default (not sure on XFCE). If not just install it.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:56 am

Thank you. And I'm glad to learn that it's now installed by default. It's a great app.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:54 am

To play DVD's in VLC if not presented with a pop-up choice upon insertion of DVD:

*** Open VLC, then go to Media -> Open Disc and you will see this screen:
vlc1.png
*** If DVD does not play when clicking "Play" button, change the "Disc device" path to /dev/sr0 (s, r, zero) instead of /dev/dvd. Either type it in, or use the little down arrow to list choices (not the "Browse" button).
vlc2.png
*** To make that new "/dev/sr0" path permanent: From the main VLC window, go to Tools -> Preferences -> All -> Input / Codecs and scroll down right side to "Default devices" and fill in /dev/sr0 for "DVD Device". Click "Save", then close and re-open VLC to make the change stick.
vlc5.png
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks for the step-by-step.

I was mainly worried that the copy protection on commercial DVDs would cause it not to work. I think I once read that VLC did not require codecs, so I wasn't worried about the actual playing of the actual video, only that it'd be prevented from reading it (or whatever).

Will add Solved to thread title, assuming everything works for him.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Return to “Software & Applications”