Problem with Firefox not paging backward correctly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Problem with Firefox not paging backward correctly

Post by wpshooter »

Why is it that sometimes (but not always) when I attempt to page backward (by using the back button/arrow) thru Firefox to Internet sites that were just recently visited it goes back thru the recent sites/pages but then goes back to some type of google search bar page instead of going to the correct site that was just visited prior to the previous page that I had scrolled back to ?

This is a completely new installation of Mint 13 which replaced the previous version of Mint 13 that was on the computer. This behavior (or mis-behavior, if you will) took place on Firefox of the old installation of Mint 13 and does the same thing after a completely new/fresh installation of Mint 13 which, of course, includes a fresh install of Firefox.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
cwsnyder

Re: Problem with Firefox not paging backward correctly

Post by cwsnyder »

This will also happen in Chromium/Google-Chrome or Safari or Internet Explorer or whatever browser you wish to use. If you right click and get the list of previous pages, you can go back to a previous page, but evidently, if you attempt to back through some pages,especially login pages,but it also affects other sites which set/check cookies during site navigation, the browser 'looses track' of what distinct address the previous page had, possibly because the 'previous page' did NOT have a distinct web address for entry, or the address changes when you are on the page, so that the entry address is not equal to the exit address.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

cwsnyder wrote:This will also happen in Chromium/Google-Chrome or Safari or Internet Explorer or whatever browser you wish to use. If you right click and get the list of previous pages, you can go back to a previous page, but evidently, if you attempt to back through some pages,especially login pages,but it also affects other sites which set/check cookies during site navigation, the browser 'looses track' of what distinct address the previous page had, possibly because the 'previous page' did NOT have a distinct web address for entry, or the address changes when you are on the page, so that the entry address is not equal to the exit address.
Are you sure about that ?

Because I never had this problem when using older versions of Linux Mint and/or when I was previously using various versions of Ubuntu. Both of which, of course, utilized older versions of Firefox. Seems to me that this problem has cropped up during real recent versions of Firefox.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

What I do to prevent this from happening is using TABs.
I normally open a page from speeddial, or type in the address in the addressbar, and if I need to go further on that site, or use a link to an external site, I use the middle mouse button on the link on the page and a new TAB is opened in which I can see the new page.
Do I want to go back I simply close the TAB and I see the page where I came from.
Born out of necessity because of the symptoms you mention here.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

@wpshooter: Yes, I am sure about that, and that goes back to Firefox 2/IE 6. It depends on the authors of the web pages, but I have had problems with using the back arrow since at least that time frame. As I said in my first post, USUALLY I can go back in modern browsers by right clicking the back arrow and selecting the page I want to go to, but sometimes even that doesn't work. It depends on the site Javascript/cookies and how symmetrically they operate.

Return to “Software & Applications”