Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
inflatablemouse
Level 2
Level 2

32-bit libraries on 64-bit system

Post by inflatablemouse »

I'm dual booting between debian and mint 16, both 64-bit with i386 added. On debian, I'm used to doing this little trick:

cp /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/* /usr/lib32 -R
rm /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib -R
ln -s /usr/lib32 /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib

Or on a fresh install create /emul/ia32-linux/usr' and then link /usr/lib32 to '/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib'.

This satisfied the Nvidia installer for the 32-bit libraries and I think /usr/lib32 is the standard directory for the 32-bit libs (or so I'm told :P).

But on Mint 16 I can't find the 32-bit library folder. I installed ia32-libs transitional package and figured this would give me a lib32 folder somewhere but I can't find it?

I don't want to break things so figured I'd ask first. How should I handle this on a fresh Mint 16 install?

Thanks!

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 32-bit libraries on 64-bit system

Post by clfarron4 »

Is that the ia32-libs package or the ia32-libs-multiarch AND multiarch-support packages?
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

With multiarch you'll find a /lib/i386-linux-gnu folder for 32-bit and a /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu for 64-bit. I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you shouldn't need any of those things for installing Nvidia drivers. I think you're going the wrong way around here and probably should instead open a new topic in the Hardaw Support > Graphics cards & Monitors section of the forum and ask for help with installing drivers for your graphics card. Usually you can just use the Driver Manager though (find it in your menu), and it will offer you various drivers to install.
clfarron4 wrote:Is that the ia32-libs package or the ia32-libs-multiarch AND multiarch-support packages?
ia32-libs. Ubuntu 13.10 has dropped support for ia32-libs-multiarch and though Clem added it back to Linux Mint 16, he named the package ia32-libs ;) But it does the same as ia32-libs-multiarch as on previous versions of Linux Mint that supported multiarch.

inflatablemouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by inflatablemouse »

I thought this was more of a general issue with the location of the 32-bit libraries which is why I posted it here because I couldn't find it where I'm used to finding it (/usr/lib32). I'll drop a Q here then.

Edit: Fixed.

Return to “Software & Applications”