Menu>Preferences not in sync with SystemSettings>Preferences

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
charlieg
Level 2
Level 2

Menu>Preferences not in sync with SystemSettings>Preferences

Post by charlieg »

Basically the entries in the Preferences subsection of the main desktop menu are out of date or duplicated and do not match what is found if you navigate to the Preferences section in System Settings (screenshot). This has already confused me. I would like to get it remedied before it confuses less savvy users in my household.

At the very least I'd like to delete any duplicate and outdated entries (such as the non-functional 'Brightness & Lock' which can be seen in the desktop menu Preferences in this screenshot).

I performed an apt-get distupgrade from 15 to 16 (and from 14 to 15) and yadda yadda I know it's not supported or something but I'm not going to go back and re-upgrade with a DVD just to fix this one problem or any other minor niggles that may crop up (probable, but it works well so far).

Is there a way to restore or revert the desktop menu(s)? Or advise on deleting menu entries?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Menu>Preferences not in sync with SystemSettings>Prefere

Post by jungle_boy »

Right mouse buttom click on Menu button; you will able to edit menu.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

When you edit the menu, you may find that some of the duplicates are new ones and some of them are legacy - that is, no longer needed. So when you delete the duplicates, make sure you are deleting the correct ones. Check the actual commands in the menu items.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Shadow45

Post by Shadow45 »

This is a great post, usually i don’t post comments on blogs but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so!

Return to “Software & Applications”