Is there an easy way to install SeaMonkey?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattdocs12345

Is there an easy way to install SeaMonkey?

Post by mattdocs12345 »

Hi,
Im looking for an easy way to install sea monkey. I went on their website but Im getting some kind of .tar file that doesn't install automatically. Is there any easier way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Is there an easy way to install SeaMonkey?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mattdocs12345.

There are at least 3 ways of installing SeaMonkey on Linux Mint:
  1. Use the Ubuntuzilla Project software packages. They provide the genuine Mozilla software packages converted to .deb installation packages.
    In order to use the Ubuntuzilla provided SeaMonkey, you first add their repository to your sources list files, as explained here: Ubuntuzilla Installation.
    Make sure you skip the commandlines that target Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird.
    Once you have added the Ubuntuzilla repository to your sources lists, you can install SeaMonkey by executing the commandline given in the same instruction. Or you can use e.g. Synaptic Package Manager to do so.
    Once SeaMonkey has been installed successfully you will be notified of available updates by mintUpdate.
  2. Provided you use Mint 13, 14 or 15, you could also use a Launchpad PPA instead of Ubuntuzilla: bratherlui's Seamonkey Stable Releases.
    You will find the instruction on how to add the PPA to your repository list on that site.
    Installation and updates work in much the same way as for Ubuntuzilla.
  3. You can also use the genuine Mozilla installation packages available on their SeaMonkey homepage directly. The installation steps can be found here: Installation and Uninstallation - Linux.
    Downside of this approach: Software updates will not be offered to you by mintUpdate.
HTH,
Karl
--
Ubuntu Documentation - SeaMonkey
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
mattdocs12345

Post by mattdocs12345 »

Im sorry im new to Linux.

Where do I add this:

Code: Select all

deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main
?

And where do I add this?
echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... ozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mattdocs12345.

I guess your questions are about the Ubuntuzilla Installation.
All steps are explained there very clearly. So please read the instruction carefully.

These are the steps that I would execute:
  • Open a terminal window and execute this commandline:

echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntizilla.list
    This will create the required sources list entry in a separate source list file named /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntizilla.list.
  • In the same terminal window execute this commandline:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
    This will import the needed signature key for the Ubuntuzilla repository. Without it you would receive complaints about untrusted software sources later on.
  • Still in the same terminal window execute this commandline:

sudo apt-get update
    This will update your local copy of available software packages. This should add the Ubuntuzilla packages to the list e.g.
  • Finally in the same terminal window still execute this commandline:

sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build
    This will perform the actual Seamonkey installation.
    (Of course you are free to use e.g. Synaptic package manager in order to perform the installation instead of the commandline.)
  • In case you wish to / have to add localized language files to Seamonkey, please follow the instruction given here
Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
mattdocs12345

Post by mattdocs12345 »

Karl,
Thank you. This has explained my issue.
Pincher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pincher »

Hello Karlchen,

Many thanks for this post, you have put so much frustration behind me, Thanks again.
I downloaded the .tar.bz2 and converted it to .deb and installed BUT then I could not find my installation to load it.
I could see all the files and folders but in my limited experience I could not load.
This has been so easy, Thank you once again you are my star of the week.

Pincher (geriatric Linux newbie)

Return to “Software & Applications”